Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-t109680.html)

ConcreteSher 03-22-2011 01:42 PM

It's a beautiful quilt, ESPECIALLY for a first try. Maybe your Dad didn't understand the work that went into it. Or maybe he's just a clod. I made a quilt top for my brother for Christmas, Grandma hand quilted it, and neither of us has yet to receive a thank you.

But, just because some people just don't get it is no reason for you to quit quilting. You do beautiful work, and believe me, others will appreciate it. Keep your chin up!

cla8655 03-22-2011 01:46 PM

The most important thing is that the first thing that you did quilting was for your dad, and if you feel good about, dont feel bad you are not the only one. YOU DID A GREAT JOB. the colors are perfect, the quilting is perfect and your feeling about it are perfect. :thumbup:

sewbizgirl 03-22-2011 01:48 PM

That's a great tribute to your Dad's service! I'm sure he will be quite touched. Great job and keep quilting... (are you hooked yet?)

Sorry... just saw that I didn't read your whole post before commenting. :oops: There is certainly nothing wrong with the quilt or your intentions-- just your parents! Don't let it discourage you. :D

BrendaY 03-22-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by shihtzulover
I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.

Your quilt is gorgeous! Please don't let their non-reaction get you down... there are plenty of us who appreciate quilts and the effort that is put into them. Just some folks don't realize what a huge gift you're giving them. Probably the only quilts they've seen are in WalMart, and made in China. I have some of those, too, and they are pretty... just don't have the love and anticipation stitched into them like we do. Chin up, girl!

BluegrassGurl 03-22-2011 01:55 PM

It is a very nice quilt. You should be very proud!!!

Sometimes our "works of love" are not appreciated nor recognized .... but we can place our confidence/happiness in the inner peace that only giving to others can provide.

Keep on quilting girlfriend!

emmy 03-22-2011 03:51 PM

I am a new quilter and your quilt is outstanding. I would not even have attempted the project. It's wonderful.

abdconsultant 03-22-2011 03:54 PM

Great job for the first quilt!

hcarpanini 03-22-2011 04:17 PM

Some guys just can't express their feelings. You did a great job and I am sure in his own way he appreciates it.

snicker dee 03-22-2011 10:58 PM

PLEASE DON'T QUIT .... that is a gorgeous quilt. I don't know why some people react the way they do to such beautiful things made just for them ... so much love and so much work just for them. I have read of many people here on QB who have had the same reaction as your Dad ... myself included ... from both my parents and a sister who even gave the quilt back to me saying that she did not want it. For some reason it is most often family. Anyway, you should be very proud of your design and workmanship. If he does not want it at all ... then give it to Quilts of Valor for our wounded service people coming home .... they often are so moved by the gift that they cry. Just PLEASE don't quit ... you have talent.

Krystyna 03-23-2011 05:16 AM

It is beautiful. Sometimes men are a little ... well, "off". And often military men are not the most verbally appreciative. I'm sure he loves it. How can he not?
(Wife of a Marine)