Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Quilt

I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.

Dad's Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-173258.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  82.8 KB

I love it. What a great quilt for a first.

My Dad would have been the same way... Not good with emotions.
    But I'm sure he is telling someone how impressed he is with you!
    The quilt is great and VERY Thoughtful! What a blessing to give your Dad a quilt to honor his service.

OMG< are we sisters? my mom is that way, no matter what any of us do it's like she doesn't even notice!
    don't worry about it, you enjoyed the process (I hope) you can keep them all if you choose ( I do), just keep quilting!!!!!!

Banned
    Wow - for a first quilt not only is it a big undertaking to have done it - it looks great!!

I don't see anything wrong!

Is that your first quilt? Anyways, I think it is terrific! You are honoring his service in the Navy, and creating a quilt to be cherished by him since made by you! I think you have done an awesome job! :)

No you did nothing wrong, and there is nothing wrong with your quilt, it might be that it brings back a flood of memories for him. It is still a great quilt.

Very nice quilt...don't beat yourself up. I'm sure they like it.

Blog Entries
    Maybe his Navy days are not fondly remembered. Keep quilting anyway.

OMG!!! I am SO in LOVE with that!!! Where did you get the US Navy fabric??? I so need to get some!!! You did an AMAZING JOB!!! Keep up the GREAT work!!! Did you do the free-motion quilting or did you get someone to do it for you? I totally love it...don't let anyone else's opinions influence the way you felt about it when it was completed!!! You are extremely talented and need to keep with it. You may be surprised with the response the next one gets that you make. I absolutely love the responses I get when I give them at baby showers or at early birthdays!!! Keep up the AMAZING work!!!

Never expect thank you's from family. They may really like something but for some reason they don't thank you.
    Keep on quilting and give to charity or something.
    By the way beautiful quilt

You did a beautiful job on this - can't believe it is your first quilt. The piece work and the quilting are amazing. Not everyone reacts the way we expect them to. Just know that you did this with love.

Don't let it stop you from quilting either. The next one you give away may be met with tears of joy. I've had quilt gifts barely acknowledged and others that I know are used and displayed with love. Interesting for me, it is the boys and young men I have gifted that seem to appreciate the quilts the most. The girls/women/men mostly don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a comforter at the store.

I sure hope that my parents like it. I had so much fun making it and was so excited that it turned out so nice. I just couldn't believe "that I actually made that myself".

I'm not giving up on quilting (though it was tempting). My youngest daughter wants a quilt (and it's in the process of me making it). She was there when I gave it to my parents and she even commented on that fact that they made no comment.

Live and learn.

I think it is a great quilt! You really did a nice job on the quilting! Don't be discouraged!

Blog Entries
    Men and their emotions! Remember the generation your dad is from has been told all their lives that is not manly to express too many feelings so that is probably why you didn't get more response. I love the quilt.

only another quilt maker can really appreciate a quilt. I have a sister-in-law who doesn't see my quilts as a big deal and one who has made a quilt herself and cant understand why I dont have people wanting to pay hundreds of dollars for one of my quilts. It really makes a difference if someone knows what you had to do to make it. And for a first quilt you should be quite proud of yourself, its beautiful

Its a beautiful quilt and you did a great job especially as its your 'first'.
    Keep on quilting, you will find someone who appreciates all the time and effort (not to mention cost) involved in making a quilt.
    Someone will probably compliment your parents on the beautiful quilt and then maybe they will get the picture!
    Quilt because YOU enjoy it.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    OH how wonderful!

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    OH how wonderful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.
    I don't see a thing wrong..it's beautiful and this is your first? WOW
    I noticed some people just don't thank you, but I bet they love it!

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I will take it. My Dad was in Navy 28 years and my husband for 22 yrs. We would love a Navy quilt....

Blog Entries
    This is a beautiful quilt and you honor your father and his service to his country. I would, being a direct person, ask if the quilt is something they like or would they prefer something different. It was made with love and that is what should be important to you (smile). Great job. Thank you for sharing.

Nice!

I think you did a wonderful job. I'm impressed that it's your first quilt. Some people just don't show much emotion. Don't let it get to you - just finish that quilt for your daughter and show us!

Very nice job

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast