Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Quilt

Blog Entries
    I love it, nice job :thumbup: Please don't be discouraged, it wasn't anything that you did wrong. I'm sure your DD is waiting patiently for her quilt and you know that she will appreciate it.Just keep on quilting. :-D

That is a very nice quilt, do not beat your self over the the family that do not appreciate anything.
    you did a very beautiful job.
    Just keep on quilting and have lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.
    shihtzulover

You know I would have to say that your dad is just too emotional to speak. Men who served in the war (not in today's war) were taught to not show their emotions.

I would have to say that if he was looking the quilt over, touching it and feeling it then he really liked it!

And as far as I am concerned, YOU did NOTHING wrong!
    TreeFrog

I agree with Kathy....just keep quilting! People are who they are and none of us are going to change that. I would be nice to at least get a Thank You. Hang in there...

That is utterly fantastic!! Sorry you didn't get the response you thought you should get. I would have said thank you, it's wonderful!

Blog Entries
    WOW! That is a beautiful quilt! Please do not stop quilting... you do really good work.
    Some people just don't know how to respond to a kind gesture... I wonder if your dad was just too overwhelmed to know what to say. I hope he appreciates it, you sure put a lot of work into that.

Blog Entries
    Older people have a harder time showing emotions. Especially Military people. I think with all the things they see in their lifetime, they are deprogramed to not display feelings sometimes. Don't worry about it and definitely keep on quilting. You've done a wonderful job.

Awesome quilt and NOTHING in it makes me think it's your first quilt...you did an outstanding job!!!!!!

It is wonderful that you did this as your first quilt and then gave it to someone. Sometimes I think its just how they were born and raised that makes the lack of reaction. My dad is the same way. At Christmas he gets lots from my kids and sits there and barely gets a thank you out. Maybe they think they sohould be doing for us and not us doing for them and they feel bad. I know your dad loves it and just know that you felt good making it for him. It may not be today or tomorrow but he will tell you how much he loves it when you least expect it. Great job

If that is your first quilt - you did a fabulous job. I bet he is showing it off

Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.
    Your Dad may be like my DH. He retired from the U.S Postal Service and didn't want anything displayed or put up to remind him of working there. All his certificates are in a box in the closet. I do have some Christmas ornaments that I still put on the tree but that is it!

That is an amazing quilt! I retired from the Navy & would be so very proud to receive that quilt as a gift! Keep up the beautiful work!!

I forgot to add that I saved some of his work shirts and strips from his pants to make a throw. They are still in a box with my other fabric. Probably just include them in a scrap throw or quilt at some point. NanaLynn

Super Member ChildoftheUniverse's Avatar
    It was the love you put into it that makes your quilt's statement - you done good!

Some people do not show thanks. My MIL never did. Maybe he is overwhelmed by your wonderful effort. You made an awesome quilt!

You did a beautiful job!! :thumbup: Sometimes its hard for people to say thank-you.

I think it's beautiful! Very nice job!

Great quilt. As others have said most family members don't comment. I know from last Christmas I did 14 Quilts for Mine and my husbands family gift. No one has said thank you or anything. But I have been to several of their homes and the quilt is on display. A few have said what their friends have said about them. Keep quilting from your heart and enjoy the completed projects. Happy quilting to you.

I think it is gorgeous!! You did a great job.....be proud of it :-D

Blog Entries
    It is wonderful, so thoughtful. Sometimes our parents don't
    know what to say to personal things. But they may be
    bragging to their friends, you may not hear anything.

you did a super job!

I am sorry for your hurt feelings. I personally would bite the bullet and say to dad that you are feeling upset and disappointed because he was so "cool" about your hand made gift. He probably is unaware that he has hurt you in such a way. I had a similar experience with my late Mum. She was totally unaware she had upset me and she wished I had told her before. All worked out fine there after.
    It's a great quilt. Good luck, be brave, and get it sorted for both your sakes. Life is too short.

looks great!!! where did you get the material?

I think it looks cool, the quilting looks good. My DH was in the Navy.

I saw a bunch of military fabric at my local WM a couple of weeks ago; Navy, Marines, Army, etc. My step-son is going into the Marines and my nephew into the Army so I guess that's 2 more quilts to add to my "To Do List". :)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast