Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My First Quilt

Blog Entries
    you did a great job my hubby would of loved it
    I had the same problem with SIL made her a quilt gave to her got a Thank You and Iv never seen it since have no idea what she did with it,,,

Don't quit quilting. Make me one and I'll sure let you know I appreciate it, lol.

Some people just can't respond with positive feedback. Don't let it get to you. Continue on with head held high. Very nice job.
    snownannie

Absolutely fabulous quilt! You have done a great job on it. You will find so many joys with quilting and the responses you will get from others so don't let this one get you down. Keep on quilting. You look like you are doing a great job to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I sure hope that my parents like it. I had so much fun making it and was so excited that it turned out so nice. I just couldn't believe "that I actually made that myself".

I'm not giving up on quilting (though it was tempting). My youngest daughter wants a quilt (and it's in the process of me making it). She was there when I gave it to my parents and she even commented on that fact that they made no comment.

Live and learn.
    When you are feeling a little more confident, you might talk to your parents and find out if in fact there is any problem relating to his service that would keep him from enjoying the quilt. If he was a Viet Nam era veteran, he may indeed have some bitter memories. If that is the case, perhaps you would all feel better if you donated your quilt to a wounded sailor, and made them something else.
    This is just a thought, but rather than second guess why they showed no reaction, I think asking them if there is a problem would be a relief and clear the air for you.
    Hugs and smiles and good luck whatever you decide to do.
    And definitely keep on quilting, there are so many places and people that love getting our quilts, it's a very worthy hobby.

My father was in World War II and never wanted to "talk" about the war. Us children no very little of what he went through during that time in his life. He would not have wanted to be reminded. Having been a military wife, husband in many tours, including a 14 months in Korea, Desert Storm, and Afghanistan, I don't like to be reminded either. Our children do not know much of that time in our life. The quilt looks very nice. Don't be hurt by his reaction.

where the navy sends us, for now its Lansing MI
    I think u did great. Im a navy wife and a quilter n I like it!! Don't quit.. its a good job!!

I think it is a really beautiful quilt, please don't be discouraged. Would never believe it's your first one!

Don't give up on quilting. They (dad or mom) aren't worth it. I'm sure they like it but don't know how to express themselves. The quilt is beautiful and what a great job on your first quilt. Keep on quilting and I keep most of my quilts because of the very same thing you are talking about. I love quilting and will keep on quilting.

Blog Entries
    That's fantastic!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by grammy6
    I sure hope that my parents like it. I had so much fun making it and was so excited that it turned out so nice. I just couldn't believe "that I actually made that myself".

I'm not giving up on quilting (though it was tempting). My youngest daughter wants a quilt (and it's in the process of me making it). She was there when I gave it to my parents and she even commented on that fact that they made no comment.

Live and learn.
    The quilt is beautiful! I'm sorry your parents weren't kind when you gave it to them. Maybe the problem is some people don't really like quilts. But when Dad needs a throw while watching TV maybe he'll see and appreciate what a nice thing for you to have done. Keep on Quilting!

:thumbup:
    Hey, I'm new on here and I just happened to see your message. Last year, for Christmas, I made a 108" red, white, and blue (in prints) table runner and 8 striped placemats to match, for one of my brothers who served in the military in Vietnam. John has never been one for "words" but I was so surprised to get a phone call from him telling me how much he appreciated what I'd done for the family-John is very much a veteran in every sense of the word-he's a "proud" vet. I'm sure you dad also wanted to tell you how much he appreciated your gift-he might just be one of those men who doesn't know "how" to tell you so. Military men just seem to keep a lot inside.......................great job.

patriotic table runner (reversible) with matching placemats.
    Name:  Attachment-174030.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  78.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Wonderful quilt! I can't believe it's your first. I guess there's no accounting for taste sometimes. Not everyone can appreciate the same things as being beautiful. I'm sorry it wasn't acknowledged for the work and time you put into it. Don't let it discourage you. I guess we can't assume anyone will like our gifts, no matter what they are. You have many fans here, though!

Men don't have a clue. They don't know how to express their feelings. What they do know is that you love them or you wouldn't bother. Be self satisfied that you did the nice thing, the right thing, and the loving thing. AND you made one hell of a nice quilt.

Beautiful.

You did a great job. And you honored your father.

Blog Entries
    Excellent Quilt!! Nice layout, great quilting job, just excellent overall!! Don't let it get you down. Almost all of us on the board have experienced the non-response at some point--or worse. YOU did a fantastic job!!

Power Poster
    You did a great job on your quilt. Sometimes people are not good at expressing themselves. Hope you don't quit quilting over this, hopefully just a misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by rosemaynes
    No you did nothing wrong, and there is nothing wrong with your quilt, it might be that it brings back a flood of memories for him. It is still a great quilt.
    I'll agree with that. He possibly finds it very hard to articulate his feelings. You'll get some feedback from him in time. But in his time. Don't feel down.

Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana
    I think it is gorgeous! You did nothing wrong. I'm sorry you didn't get the appreciation you deserve. Hugs.

I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.
    Well, first I had better tell you that I had a son in the army, for years and years, and he told me he could not have a quilt in the barracks because there would be noplace to put it - because the bedding is required to be exactly the same for everybody...and in all the services.
    So he can't have it there, so it would have to stay home.
    ....about home....well, think about where it would go.
    The reason you might have not got thanks is that they might not know what to say or do...It is a beautiful quilt and bet they do not want to hurt your feelings. If you could get it back it could go to a wounded (or worse )veteran.
    Some people just do not appreciate quilts either!
    Once I made a complicated woodsy pictorial quilt for my niece, and she kept it in the back of her jeep for the dog.
    said it went great with the scenery!
    (the mud didn't show on it either!) I hope you laughed!
    Don't give up quilting! Now my son is retired and begs for wonky cat quilts to hang up in his office.
    J

I love your quilt, you did a beautiful job, and you should be ever so proud of your accomplishment with this quilt. Some people cannot express their emotions and they are not to blame, we just have to try to understand, and be bigger than that. Don't let the mind chatter stop you - remember you are pretty special to have done this for them.

great quilt.

Can it be that they are just so overwelmed that they don't know what to say or do ?
    We all think it's great anyway and you know you made it with love so feel at peace with yourself.

Great quilt!

Blog Entries
    I know he's proud of it! Congratulations on your first...of many yet to come.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast