Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: My First Quilt

I'm sure he'll be proud of it. It is lovely. I have made friends pillow covers out of the panels.

It is beautiful. Maybe, emotions run high and your dad would rather keep them out.

The quilt is great. But maybe he has enough military in his job and would like his home to be a refuge from that military life. My brother was 25 year Navy. When he was off duty he had nothing military on him. He was being picked up by his squad at the airport. He bumped a man. The man asked who he was. Command Master Chief he said without even getting out of his very unmilitary sitting position. And the man said "sir". Is there anything I can do for your". But he had regular clothes on so the man was not able to tell. He looked like a civilian. Maybe your parents separate the Military and the home life totally like my brother.

Blog Entries
    I think it looks wonderful. My husband's father was retired military and he normally wouldn't say anything very positive or affection to him, but to me or others he would brag about him. I wouldn't let anything discourage me from doing what I love especially when you are do such wonderful work. You have a lot of talent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.
    Some men just want to forget the time they spent in the service, this seems to be true mostly for men who saw combat of some kind. If they just forget it, it keeps the nightmares at bay. You did nothing wrong, you just had no idea he would react his way. Try offering to donate that one to a VFW hall in his name, and ask him what he would like better? IMHO.

I think you made a beautiful quilt! I know it hurts not to get any acknowledgement of your efforts when you put your heart and soul into making a special something for someone. Please don't take it personal...and please continue on creating and making the world a brighter place!

You did a great job on the quilt.
    My dad always grumped when we gave him gifts and cards for Christmas, birthday, Father's Day. Never said thank you. He always wore whatever we gave him even the ugliest ties. When he died we discovered he had kept every single card, handmade card, handmade gift, letter we had ever given or sent. We never knew until he was gone that he was sentimental.

I made a quilt for a friend and also did not get a exceited responce, but I hear from her husband that she has to drag it out and show it to everyone who comes over. That made me feel good, she does really like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

your quilt is wonderful, and don't give up, I did the same for my sister and her doughter and when I go to her house the quilt are in the closet not on the bed I told her she need to put them out or give them back, she now uses them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6