Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Quilt

Wonderful quilt and precious gift. You did it because you loved him and sometimes the thanks is only in the giving. As someone else said, they have probably shown to everyone or told everyone about it. It isn't you...take a deep breath and let it go!

Great job on your first quilt!!!

Great job. Beautiful quilt. Some men are just not good with emotions. Know he loves it; but just can't bring himself to tell you directly.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful!

Don't let it bother you. Many people - parents included - don't appreciate all that is involved in making a quilt and they don't understand why it's important to us. When we give a quilt as a gift, it's terrific when someone is generous in their praise and thanks, but we can't expect that reaction every time. It's probably not that they don't like the gift - they just don't understand why it's any different from the one they saw in a catalog last week.

You did a wonderful job for a first quilt. Take pride in your work and know you did a good job and you did it with love for your father. Then let it go - and don't be surprised if some day down the road, you hear from your mom or someone else just how touched your dad is to have the quilt you made with your very own hands.

Are you sure they weren't just speechless? That quilt is awesome! A big Thank You from me!

The quilt is very nice, nothing wrong with it. Some people (my dad was one of them) just don't seem to show how much they appreciate what is done for them. I am sure they have told others what a nice quilt you made for them. Keep up the good work and keep on quilting.

I word at a VA in Ny and maybe he has bad memories or experiences from being in the Navy. Was in combat or in a war? Is his behavior about this any different than any other time? Maybe he just didn't know what to say.

Blog Entries
    Awesome job keep up the good work

Thank you so much for your kind words. You're right, I guess I was expecting some kind of praise or complement from them and when I didn't recieve it, I thought WOW, what did I do wrong???

You did a great job - we are a Navy family too.
    Don't feel badly, I made a Dresden Quilt for my boss' daughter who got married 12/31/10, I have yet to receive a thank you!
    Sometimes people don't realize the time & money involved in making quilts - other quilters can appreciate your efforts. Don't despair!

Blog Entries
    Dear it is a beautiful quilt and so wonderful that you thought of it. If your parents are like mine were, they probably were speechless. Mention it occasionally and see how they respond. If no thank you is forthcoming, leave it alone. You did it out of love and they know it.... Don't you dare quit quilting!
    Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.

Blog Entries
    Sorry dear but that is just being rude...

I sure hope that my parents like it. I had so much fun making it and was so excited that it turned out so nice. I just couldn't believe "that I actually made that myself".

I'm not giving up on quilting (though it was tempting). My youngest daughter wants a quilt (and it's in the process of me making it). She was there when I gave it to my parents and she even commented on that fact that they made no comment.

Live and learn.
    The quilt is beautiful! I'm sorry your parents weren't kind when you gave it to them. Maybe the problem is some people don't really like quilts. But when Dad needs a throw while watching TV maybe he'll see and appreciate what a nice thing for you to have done. Keep on Quilting!

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    It is a nice commemoration of his service. You did a good job. Some people don't know what to say. I say keep on quiltn'.

It's a beautiful quilt, ESPECIALLY for a first try. Maybe your Dad didn't understand the work that went into it. Or maybe he's just a clod. I made a quilt top for my brother for Christmas, Grandma hand quilted it, and neither of us has yet to receive a thank you.

But, just because some people just don't get it is no reason for you to quit quilting. You do beautiful work, and believe me, others will appreciate it. Keep your chin up!

The most important thing is that the first thing that you did quilting was for your dad, and if you feel good about, dont feel bad you are not the only one. YOU DID A GREAT JOB. the colors are perfect, the quilting is perfect and your feeling about it are perfect. :thumbup:

That's a great tribute to your Dad's service! I'm sure he will be quite touched. Great job and keep quilting... (are you hooked yet?)

Sorry... just saw that I didn't read your whole post before commenting. :oops: There is certainly nothing wrong with the quilt or your intentions-- just your parents! Don't let it discourage you. :D

Blog Entries
    I just finished my first quilt that I made for my dad. He was in the U.S. Navy so I thought this would be perfect for him and mom. WOW the response I got was literally nothing. No Thank You! No that is nice! NOTHING!

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to not get depressed and quit quilting over this.
    Your quilt is gorgeous! Please don't let their non-reaction get you down... there are plenty of us who appreciate quilts and the effort that is put into them. Just some folks don't realize what a huge gift you're giving them. Probably the only quilts they've seen are in WalMart, and made in China. I have some of those, too, and they are pretty... just don't have the love and anticipation stitched into them like we do. Chin up, girl!

Blog Entries
    It is a very nice quilt. You should be very proud!!!

Sometimes our "works of love" are not appreciated nor recognized .... but we can place our confidence/happiness in the inner peace that only giving to others can provide.

Keep on quilting girlfriend!

Blog Entries
    I am a new quilter and your quilt is outstanding. I would not even have attempted the project. It's wonderful.

Blog Entries
    Great job for the first quilt!

Some guys just can't express their feelings. You did a great job and I am sure in his own way he appreciates it.

PLEASE DON'T QUIT .... that is a gorgeous quilt. I don't know why some people react the way they do to such beautiful things made just for them ... so much love and so much work just for them. I have read of many people here on QB who have had the same reaction as your Dad ... myself included ... from both my parents and a sister who even gave the quilt back to me saying that she did not want it. For some reason it is most often family. Anyway, you should be very proud of your design and workmanship. If he does not want it at all ... then give it to Quilts of Valor for our wounded service people coming home .... they often are so moved by the gift that they cry. Just PLEASE don't quit ... you have talent.

Blog Entries
    It is beautiful. Sometimes men are a little ... well, "off". And often military men are not the most verbally appreciative. I'm sure he loves it. How can he not?
    (Wife of a Marine)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast