Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A Walk Through the Park quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/walk-through-park-quilt-top-t22776.html)

barnbum 07-14-2009 05:56 PM

There are two blocks--A and B. The difference is in the HST on the sides. I can give the cutting directions if anyone is interested... I found this tricky to put together. The rows aren't just A B A B--they go AABBAA or AAABBB, etc--and turned all directions! I had to really pay attention! :roll: The cornerstones would never have worked on my older machine--the 1/4" seams was a do or die situation in this one. (Well--it is in every quilt, eh?)

Block size--let me go check....okay--9" finished.

Here's the one that inspired me! http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/8192.page

wesing 07-14-2009 06:21 PM

Karla -

I would like to have those cutting instructions if you don't mind. Looking at it closer we did notice that the blocks are not all the same. I'm still pretty sure that I could make my own instructions, but I'd hate to mess up such a nice quilt.

Thanks,

Darren

gcathie 07-14-2009 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My, Karla, that sure is pertty in green...........I have a better photo of mine so you can see it better

littlehud 07-14-2009 06:34 PM

That is absolutely beautiful. Love the colors. Great job.

barnbum 07-14-2009 06:45 PM

Oh gcathie--please post it here!! I drooled over the picture you posted and now you say you have a better one? :lol:

Cutting.
For blocks, the varying fabrics for HST: cut two 3 and 7/8" (that's a weird way to do it, but makes it clear for you) x WOF from each fabric for each. Sub-cut each color into eighteen 3 and 7/8" squares, then thirty-six HST

For the common HST fabric, cut seven 3 and 7/8" x WOF. Sub-cut into seventy-two 3 and 7/8" squares, then 144 HST.

For the common square piece i the corner: cut four 3.5" x WOF. Sub-cut into thirty-six 3.5" squares.

For the large HST: cut three 6 and 7/8" x WOF from each. Sub-cut each color into eighteen 6 and 7/8" squares and then thirty-six HST

Make 18 of each block. If the four small HST are labled a, b, c, d--on A they go in that order from left to right around the large HST. For the B block it goes d, c, b, a. (does that make sense)

Sash and cornerstones: cut twenty-one 1.5" x WOF. Sub-cut into eighty-four 1.5" x 9.5".

Cornerstone: cut two 1.5" x WOF. Sub-cut into 1.5" squares.
(I didn't do it that way--I sewed the 1.5" strip to the 9.5" strip and then cut them into 1.5" strips. You'll need several 1.5" squares for the ends though.

The sashes are sewed between blocks in rows, then in rows between rows. (got that? :roll: )

The block lay out is:
A B B A A B
B A B A B A
B B B A A A
A A A B B B
A B A B A B
B A A B B A

Border is 6".

How's that?

gcathie 07-14-2009 06:48 PM

I do like the green much better.....so calming.....you did a grand job Karla!.....

tlrnhi 07-14-2009 06:52 PM

Karla...once again, you have made an awesome quilt!
I love the colors!

MollieSue 07-14-2009 06:53 PM

Absolutely beautiful!!!! And I so wish you could come pick out material for me - you do such a good job at it!!!!!!!! :D :D

barnbum 07-14-2009 06:54 PM

gcathie--I LOVE yours!! Well--I guess that's obvious now. :D See how you inspired me--and now everyone else???!!! You posted that a year ago--took me long enough, eh? :shock:

I'm going kayaking in the morning.. then will tackle the last few blocks for the log cabin... then lay it out one-more-time. :wink:

Diana--picking the fabrics--that's my favorite part! This one was tricky because there are so many to work together.

Thanks, Terri. :D

Oops--I see here it's actually called: A Walk in the Park. :D

gcathie 07-14-2009 06:57 PM

you go girl....kayaking.....yaking is what i'd be doing...:-)....Did you here me holler at you a week ago......as my husband drove past I did shout mighty loud.....H E L L O K A R L A......:-)...was on interstate 90 headed to see our son in Mass...:-)