Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt frame >

Quilt frame

Quilt frame

Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM

Hi

I was given a quilt frame yesterday, that is sort of different. I am very happy about it, and can't wait to use it. Any ideas on where to get information or info you have about it would be great. I posted a thread in the general quilting but didn't get any answers.
Thanks!

Picture of the full frame.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32450[/ATTACH]

Close up of overall frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32521[/ATTACH]

Picture of the holes that I believe youwhip stich the back to
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32922[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-32450.jpe   attachment-32521.jpe   attachment-32922.jpe  
Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Wow, what a great gift! I wish I could get that frame from you! That is actually a really simple frame. The side pieces are to hold the thing up, while the horizontal ones are the ones you attach the quilt to. You tack each end to one of the horizontal peices ,and then as the quilt gets done, you roll it up towards the center...does that make any sense?

this is the kind of frame my grandmother used...and I wish I had one!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I have never seen a frame like that one, I have an old frame that has material stapled to the boards, you then roll the quilt up on it and place in slots built for holding the poles.
I also have a new floor frame with tension that makes it easy to load and roll.
that is a home made frame of some type and I don't know how you would use it. Maybe someone on here will be more familiar with it. Maybe there were pegs to place in the holes to hold the quilt?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 AM

you probly have to get clumps to clump your quilt on like in the old day
Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Very much like what my mother built- she just uses chairs to hold hers up, She thumb racks her quilt to it pulls it tight and uses a c clamp to secure the corners. She ties her quits but you could use it to hand quilt also. No rolling just the whole quilt stretched. I guess you could roll but she doesn't. It is simply 4 1x2 boards and 4 c clamps propped up on something.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

What a great gift :D :D :D
Old 07-24-2009, 04:23 PM

As I understand it, you tack the quilt to the ends. You could thumbtack it or you could stitch some scrap batting and fabric to each pole and baste the ends of the quilt to those. The corners of the frame were held together by clamps. Often this type of frame was suspended on a type of pulley to the ceiling and would be lowered down to rest on chairs or other kind of support when working on the quilt.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Wow..I've never seen one like this.
Good luck with it!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:34 PM

It looks like what my friend who is also a professional quilter uses for basting big quilts. The holes are to slide a bolt through to change the sizes of the square. In my experience you thumbtack a strip of heavy material to the boards and baste either with pins or thread your quilt to the strips of fabric on the frame. We had such a set up at our local Farm Museum. As the outside edges were done as far as the women could reach they rolled the board toward the middle and reattached it to the upright supports. It is possible for as many as 12 people to work on the quilt at a time if it is king or queen size.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 PM

That is very similar to the basting frame I'm planning on making. Only difference is my top 4 boards are just 1x2's and I'm going to staple twill tape to them to baste the outer edges of the fabric to it. it's held together wtih c-clamps. My best friend in Missouri had one in her quilt shop and we would attach a quilt and could baste it in a couple of hours.
We didn't bother rolling it up.. just stitched half way across and your counterpart across from you would finish the row.
then you turn around and go back and she would finish that row.