Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilting on a Treadle >

Quilting on a Treadle

Quilting on a Treadle

Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Great job!!
Ditter
Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM

More power to you. I would have nenver attempted that many thin stripes. Wonderful result. Maybe I will try thin strip quilt although my seams never 'seem' straight no matter how careful I am with my 1/4 inch. Go Girl!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by trolley station
More power to you. I would have nenver attempted that many thin stripes. Wonderful result. Maybe I will try thin strip quilt although my seams never 'seem' straight no matter how careful I am with my 1/4 inch. Go Girl!
Hi Trolley station. Those are not thin stripes, they are pleats. The strips are sewn on and folded back to make pleats. The 1/4 inch seam is less important than getting the folding measurement right. Which was good for me cause it is my 2nd quilt and I was truely clueless on quilting.

The quilt doesn't need any batting because it's very thick from just the fabrics. I only need to sew the blocks together, back it and bind it. Oh and quilt it of course. I thought I might ditch stitch it.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Power Poster

awesome!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 AM

Hi Lostn51. I envy your collection of vintage machines.

Actually learning to quilt was my justification for having a vintage machine collection. I promised myself to make a quilt on every old machine I get working. Right now, my interest in quilting has overtaken my interest in old sewing machines, but I will get back to them soon.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianLoon
I love your machines. Were they operational when you bought them or did you restore them?
Some work, some don't but all of mine needed some TLC. It's amazing what a clean up and some oil can do.

I still have some awaiting attention, but these old machines are amazing. Its usually only lack of certain parts, especially needles and bobbins which prevent them from working just as well as they did when they were new.

I would be astounded if my modern machine was still going in 20 years, let alone 100 years from now.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 AM

Beautiful quilt.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blockhead
Its usually only lack of certain parts, especially needles and bobbins which prevent them from working just as well as they did when they were new.

I would be astounded if my modern machine was still going in 20 years, let alone 100 years from now.
Well at least you can use the 15x1 needles on the machines that you shown. For some of the older machines that use curved needles if you do it just right you can take a commercial needle and heat it up and put a slight bend in it so it can be used. But there were so many machines that use the curved needles that you have to find one that is close to the same length and bend it to match the original.

Also you can still get the bobbins for the 27's they still make them but they are just a tad bit shorter but work very well.

Billy
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks Billy for the info. I have my local sewing machine dealer on the lookout for needles for me - I have a couple of hand cranks and an old Jones which take round shank needles. He had plenty of treadle belts on hand, so I don't need to worry about getting those.

My main concern is the very odd tension device on the Class 15. No matter how I put it together, it 'unthreads' after a short time. I think I will have to stop fiddling about with it and get someone with more knowledge take a look at it. It's frustrating cause when it works, it sews beautifully.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM

WOW :!: that quilt is beautiful :!: :D Where did you get the fabric as I will be in tassie in feb. and I haven't seen it here.