Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilting on a Treadle >

Quilting on a Treadle

Quilting on a Treadle

Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Try allbrands.com. I've done business with them for years and never had a problem.

I am new to this board and don't know if links are permitted. Moderators, if not, sorry, and please delete it.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp08912.html

Cricket
Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM

I have not tried using a feed dog cover not made for the machine but would guess it would not work well.

Some machines do allow you to cover the feed dogs, set the stitch length to zero, and free motion quilt with them. I've tried that and can tell you the Stoppax works much better.

Cricket
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
Try allbrands.com. I've done business with them for years and never had a problem.

I am new to this board and don't know if links are permitted. Moderators, if not, sorry, and please delete it.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp08912.html

Cricket
Links are very welcome ... the Board is here for quilters <g>
Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

How pretty!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
I have not tried using a feed dog cover not made for the machine but would guess it would not work well.

Some machines do allow you to cover the feed dogs, set the stitch length to zero, and free motion quilt with them. I've tried that and can tell you the Stoppax works much better.

Cricket
All I do is either drop the feed dogs (the 15) and take all of the tension off of the presserbar or I put a card over the feed dogs (my 27 and 66) and take the tension off of the presserbar and I have never had any issues and works lie a champ.

Billy
Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 AM

i just came across the photo of your quilt that you pieced with your treadle machines. i love them...i recently bough and restored a "free" treadle sew. machine and i am still practicing filling the bobbin and sewing seams but getting pretty bored with it...i think i am ready to try piecing and quilting at least one project with this machine. do you have any tips? i did discover that the machine will take schmetz needles so i am stocked up with those for a good while.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned

I do all of my quilts on treadles and I do not think I will ever use any other type of machine to be honest with you. But as for tips I really do not have any other than take your time and enjoy the process.

For me making a quilt on a treadle is the most relaxing experience ever. When I step into my studio and start sewing it is like I stepped back in time to the early 1900's and it just stands still. I am in my own world and nothing else matters. If you have seen my studio you will see I have 19 vintage machines that I can use for my central treadle and there are lots of vintage items to go along with them sitting around. All of that just adds to the experience.

Billy
Old 12-12-2010, 05:07 PM

thankyou billy- my machine is a "free", that was manufactured in rockford illinois. it was dusty and the belt had rotted when i found it. some wd40 and good furniture wax cleaned and shined her up pretty good. i think i will enjoy using this machine especially on these long cold days of winter.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Blockhead
Anyway, here is my treadle attempt. I completed most of the blocks on 2 treadles, but because of tension problems, I did a few on a featherweight. All vintage machines at least.

The design is callee Pleated Log Cabin. Here are the blocks, all rather wonky. I've not sewn them together because, at the time, I didn't know how to approach it :oops: Now I have a clue, I just haven't gotten around to it.
That is one amazing quilt!! I totally love it, especially the center design. How did you do that?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 PM

Very impressive! Proud for you. This is AWESOME for a first quilt!