Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilts for raffle at Air Force Academy >

Quilts for raffle at Air Force Academy

Quilts for raffle at Air Force Academy

Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM

Miss Diane,
I am known as Dani to my friends,, ( as my spelling of my first name always gets people confused,, Danyl,,,) so ,,please just call me that,,,,

Once again,, thank you for all you and your organization does,,, to receive a quilt after coming home,, is like a hug for all the time,,, A fellow soldier received one,, about a month after returning,, and his wife sent me the pictures,, a grown man at 34 years old, was crying,, when I called and asked him how he liked it,, he still got chocked up,,, If only a soldier could put a word towards the meaning of receiving one of those quilts, it still would not be enough. Many come home with issues,, some you can see and others you can not,, and many that I am known to,, they have told me storeis I could never wish on a mortal enemy... But,, we all knwo this thing could happen to us when we join,, we hope not,, but it could.,,,, Sorry,, got going again,,lol..

Thank you,,, and thanks to all of the people here that have supported me,, and other troops along the way,, you would be suprised how much that means to us,,, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful work
Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM

God Bless you all that serve both for your country and helping those who do. It is a blessing to me to be able to make and give a quilt to our soldiers. It is great to be a part of a group that helps.
The quilts are beautiful!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM

I have a nephew just joining up in the Army,are they allowed to have quilts in basic training? I'd love to make him one while he's in. He just signed up for 4 years. Chris
Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Those are awesome. What wonderful group efforts. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Mac
I have a nephew just joining up in the Army,are they allowed to have quilts in basic training? I'd love to make him one while he's in. He just signed up for 4 years. Chris
Chris,

I doubt he can have the quilt during basic training. I would suggest that you make the quilt and the right time to send it to him will present itself eventually.

My son has been in the AF now for 14 years and his last deployment was to Afghanistan in the winter, and that certainly called for a quilt! I had made two others for him, but it was too hot in Iraq to make use of them, so they were stored and not used while he was there.

One thing I would like to point out that a soldier told me not too long ago, is to never make a quilt that looks like an American Flag, because they don't want a coffin flag on their beds.

Diane
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM

The quilts are beautiful!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Beautiful work!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Mac
Dear Chris,
A a recent grad from BCT and AIT, and several friends just finished, We are not allowed to have anything personal like that. They can have it for AIT, the schooling they go to after BCT. They are not as strict, however, he will have to remove it every morning and fold it and put it in his locker, room inspections come very often, and usually as a surprise!,, LOL.....

And about a flag for a quilt,, it is true,, we adore the flag,, but we are a little leery about sleeping under one,, kind of like a bad luck omen. The red white and blue are great,, and the service he is in,, but many soldiers will not sleep under it,, they will use it as a wall hanging or as a cover,, but not to sleep under. We are taught in BCT that....

In addition, we are issued the green wool blankets, and they are stamped with U.S. on it,, we are taught to turn it so the stamp is not visible. For the same reason as the flag. If a soldier comes from over seas, they do not put the flag on the coffin till they are about to be taken off the plane. They are usually brought with the green wool blanket covering the coffin. ( when I came home, there was 5 coffins in our plane, and thats how they were...)

I hope no one is offended if they gave a soldier one with a flag already,, and not all soldiers are the same,,, but the vast majority of us,, kind of shy away from it..