Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Rag Quilts I've made >

Rag Quilts I've made

Rag Quilts I've made

Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Originally Posted by bri1977
Thank you so much everyone. The people on this board are sooo nice :) I once read that "It's not a quilt until it's quilted," and with all of the marvelous talent being displayed on the board, I guess I was just afraid they weren't "worthy." Anyway, Thanks again!
Have never made one but it is on my "todo" list! Love yours! :thumbup: Roughly, how much would you say they shrink so I know how much larger to make mine. How are the edges finished?
Hmmm...I didn't pre wash, of course, but I don't think they shrank so much that they were a totally different size after washing. I cut 6 1/2 inch squares sewn with 1/2 inch seams on the small blankets, 8 1/2 inch with 3/4 inch seams on the Colts one and 10 1/2 inch with 1 inch seams on the Patriots one. You can really control the length and width with the size of squares and seam allowances.

!! I say Reinforce all the seams!! And back stitch the beginnings and ends of everything.

They can become quite heavy and you don't want the seams to "pop" when shaking the loose threads off. (I had this happen once and you can't fix them once they've been clipped and washed)
The edge is zig zag stitched however far in you made your seam allowance and clipped all the way around just like the rest although some people bind theirs in the traditional manner.

I also used a Walking Foot. When you pin your rows together, lay top seams facing left and bottom facing right...you dont want them laying on top of eachother or you'll be sewing through like 10 layers of fabric :lol:

I also switched to a 16 needle when sewing the rows together and then back to a 14 for the zig zag edge.
sorry for the "windy" post
Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 AM

[quote=dltaylor]a quilt is a quilt is a quilt!! Well in my opinion anyway. Doesn't matter if it is hand sewn, machine or rag...]

Nice job, I agree totally, nice quilts

:thumbup:
Old 07-14-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Thank you so much everyone. The people on this board are sooo nice :) I once read that "It's not a quilt until it's quilted," and with all of the marvelous talent being displayed on the board, I guess I was just afraid they weren't "worthy." Anyway, Thanks again!
Have never made one but it is on my "todo" list! Love yours! :thumbup: Roughly, how much would you say they shrink so I know how much larger to make mine. How are the edges finished?
Hmmm...I didn't pre wash, of course, but I don't think they shrank so much that they were a totally different size after washing. I cut 6 1/2 inch squares sewn with 1/2 inch seams on the small blankets, 8 1/2 inch with 3/4 inch seams on the Colts one and 10 1/2 inch with 1 inch seams on the Patriots one. You can really control the length and width with the size of squares and seam allowances.

!! I say Reinforce all the seams!! And back stitch the beginnings and ends of everything.

They can become quite heavy and you don't want the seams to "pop" when shaking the loose threads off. (I had this happen once and you can't fix them once they've been clipped and washed)
The edge is zig zag stitched however far in you made your seam allowance and clipped all the way around just like the rest although some people bind theirs in the traditional manner.

I also used a Walking Foot. When you pin your rows together, lay top seams facing left and bottom facing right...you dont want them laying on top of eachother or you'll be sewing through like 10 layers of fabric :lol:

I also switched to a 16 needle when sewing the rows together and then back to a 14 for the zig zag edge.
sorry for the "windy" post
Wasn't "windy"...was just what I asked for and....THANKS !!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 AM

You did a nice job on your rag quilts! Who's to say they aren't "real" quilts? Quilts are made to be used and these definetly will be used by the person you made them for.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Of course it's a quilt, why wouldn't it be. Love em.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 AM

I like your rag quilts... looks like they were fun to make... thanks for sharing.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 AM

Those are all well-planned REAL quilts and pretty to boot.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 AM

"The edge is zig zag stitched however far in you made your seam allowance and clipped all the way around just like the rest although some people bind theirs in the traditional manner. "

Can you please clarify this for me? Did you sew a straight stitch and then a zig zag to reinforce or did you just use the zig zag to create your seam allowance? The zig zag stitch would add some additional interest to the piece.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 AM

Not only do those quilts look real,they look real good.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by lynn7448
"The edge is zig zag stitched however far in you made your seam allowance and clipped all the way around just like the rest although some people bind theirs in the traditional manner. "

Can you please clarify this for me? Did you sew a straight stitch and then a zig zag to reinforce or did you just use the zig zag to create your seam allowance? The zig zag stitch would add some additional interest to the piece.
I personally just finished with a zig zag around the quilt before I began clipping the seams, although if you wanted, you could reinforce with a straight stitch first. The inner seams, especially the ones where you are attaching row to row are the ones that really need reinforcing.
I just reinforced by straight stitching each seam twice. The edge is the only place where I used a zig zag. Hope that makes sense.