Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Redwork Romance Fabric for Redwork or huh??? >

Redwork Romance Fabric for Redwork or huh???

Redwork Romance Fabric for Redwork or huh???

Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 PM

I had some of the redwork and cut the blocks. My mother embroidered 3 blocks (she had ALS and was losing use of her hands), my daughter embroidered 5 blocks and I embroidered 4 blocks. I put put them all together using the matching fabric in a red and white patchwork sashing. It was the last handwork my mom did and I treasure it. You just buy matching thread and stitch over the lines with a stem stitch or that's how we did it.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by texas granny
I have several of these and you can color the flowers and then do the stitching.
You don't have to do them in blue work you could use the color DMC threads.

Color them using what method? I guess thread painting is also an option..
Color Cayola. you back the fabric with frezzer paper and color the block and then you heat set the Cayola do your blending place a paper towel over the block and heat set the colors.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Youme just sent me that same panel (I received it today!), but mine is in red. I have great plans of using a red, vibrant varigated DMC on it. I wondered about those little flowers, too.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 PM

If you figure out what the little flowers are for, let me know:>
Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM

The little flowers are markers for where you can cut the fabric into separate blocks.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:05 PM

I am doing a redwork quilt that has snowman doing different activities and had my mom embroider one of the blocks (she did alot of embroidery when the boys were all over seas during the war-WWII) so she enjoyed reviving her skills. My mom passed away several months after giving me the block. I know exactly what you mean when you say how you treasure it. I need to get this quilt done before the snow flies. Of course, being MN that would be sooner than we would really like.
Originally Posted by SandraG
I had some of the redwork and cut the blocks. My mother embroidered 3 blocks (she had ALS and was losing use of her hands), my daughter embroidered 5 blocks and I embroidered 4 blocks. I put put them all together using the matching fabric in a red and white patchwork sashing. It was the last handwork my mom did and I treasure it. You just buy matching thread and stitch over the lines with a stem stitch or that's how we did it.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I wanted to say that your panel is beautiful! I am just learning redwork and the lady that introduced me to it is working on that same panel but in red. Congratulations on your find!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
This was in the lot of items I bought yesterday. I bought a quilters stash and am slowly going through it. This one confuses me. I think it's like a yard of fabric. The selvage reads Redwork Romance by Alex Anderson by P & B. Are you supposed to actually do redwork embroidery over the blue designs? Does the blue wash out? What are the little blue flowers on each design for? They must be some kind of alignment tool? I'm sorry, but this one confuses me! Can someone tell me what this fabric is used for?
Candace One of the thing I do when I do hand embroidery is I back each piece with a piece of batting. This kind of pre-quilts the flowers. You would have to do the coloring before hand if you are doing that. I have done the emb. with out the batting and I just like it better with it. I don't use a hoop when I do this type of emb. I hope this helps you decide how to do your blocks.
I have cut these type of blocks into pieces and I have also done them in one piece and still back it with the batting.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Yes your are suppose to do your stiching ove the lines. The lines are suppose to wash out. That is how you find most embordery patterns.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Friendly Quilter
Yes your are suppose to do your stiching ove the lines. The lines are suppose to wash out. That is how you find most embordery patterns.
These don't wash out, I think.