Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: The result of my experimenting

  1. #1
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    I saw a log cabin variation quilt in magazine that was mostly done in black and white prints. I want to do the quilt in black and red prints (for my boyfriend), but had trouble finding a variety of prints that had the same color of red. My solution: take black and white prints and dye them red. I tested this on a couple cheap bandanas and the dying process worked out quite nicely. The black bandana has a red overtone (which I had thought might happen), but you can only see it if you're upclose. The white bandana didn't get dyed completely so there were a few pink areas.

    I also made a block out of the dyed bandanas...its not perfect. The bandana material was real thin so it wanted to stretch no matter how much I pinned it and I sort of rushed it so I didn't press as much as I should have and my seams weren't perfect.

    Here's the end result. Even though the banadanas didn't get thoroughly saturated with dye and I did kind of rushed making a block (and the chopped up paisley border looks dreadful) I think it shows I could get this to work on a full sized quilt.
    [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/DSC00174.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    quiltilicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    583
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow! That looks fantastic!

  3. #3
    Super Member FancyFoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,683
    It looks real cool...lets see some more

  4. #4
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    Looks like it should work beautifully on regular fabric!

    However I would recommend that you also test dye small pieces of each fabric you plan to use to be sure the dye will 'take' evenly from one fabric to the next. Better safe than sorry!

  5. #5
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good luck on this project. I can't imagine dying all that material.

  6. #6
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,426
    Don't you just want red & black bandanas? Looks cool
    They have them at Michaels & the cloth is decent.

  7. #7
    Super Member thequilterslink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    2,682
    Looks great, love it!

  8. #8
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    You've got a great idea. Keep us posted with your progress!

  9. #9
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love it!!! You are very creative!!! :D:D:D

  10. #10
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    I like it and would not change anything.

  11. #11
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    That looks so nice! Great colors!

  12. #12
    Super Member watson's mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maidstone, Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,542
    Great shade of red, my DH would love it. Don't forget to post the finished results.

  13. #13
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    cool, thanks for playing around with the fabrics

  14. #14
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Looks great!!! I guess you know to make sure that the dye doesn't run with the first washing!

  15. #15
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    I needed red bandana print for a quilt with dogs on it. I went to Walmart and bought red bandanas. I really had to keep soaking them until they quit bleeding. They are thin but I found out if I starched them until they were stiff they were easy to work with. Plus, they're pretty big and I was cutting strips, too. Got a lot of strips from each and had a bandana left over for my dog to wear. Just a suggestion-thought this might be easier for you than dying them. Good luck-can't wait to see your finished project.

  16. #16
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    Can't wait to see the finished project!

    Good job!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    East, Texas
    Posts
    269
    Did you die in the washing machine? I have a new front loader and not sure how that would work.

  18. #18
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,957
    That is a great idea. It's going to be a cool quilt. Keep us posted.

  19. #19
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,770
    What a great idea! (Make sure the dye is set in the fabric.) You could use LOTS of starch to make the bandanas behave better....We want to see the finished quilt. I think it will be amazing when you have finished it!!

    Ditter

  20. #20
    angieh1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dennison Ohio
    Posts
    409
    i like the way the red took it kinda has a tie dye look which fits nice with the paisley i too have been considering using bandannas as my hubbie is a welder and wears headwraps and would love for our quilt to be bandanna print and can not find any anywhere if i find some it is usually one color and that is it and it is usually not black white or red as this is the colors i would like to use and since we have dogs not sure how well the bandannas would hold up

  21. #21
    quiltilicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    583
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by angieh1964
    i like the way the red took it kinda has a tie dye look which fits nice with the paisley i too have been considering using bandannas as my hubbie is a welder and wears headwraps and would love for our quilt to be bandanna print and can not find any anywhere if i find some it is usually one color and that is it and it is usually not black white or red as this is the colors i would like to use and since we have dogs not sure how well the bandannas would hold up
    google "bandanna print fabric"... I found these

    http://www.jandofabrics.com/proddeta...?prod=sku00010
    (I'm going to get some of this for myself! DH lives in bandannas)

    http://www.craftconn.com/Main.asp?Ta...roductID=17276

    There are even more if I spell it right
    :lol:

  22. #22
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Don't you just want red & black bandanas? Looks cool
    They have them at Michaels & the cloth is decent.
    All we got is Wal-Mart and the only black and white bandanas they have are the paisley ones. I didn't like the chopped up paisley design. It works for the test run, but I'd rather find something with better design. And the fabric was so thin that it was hard to sew at times.

    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I needed red bandana print for a quilt with dogs on it. I went to Walmart and bought red bandanas. I really had to keep soaking them until they quit bleeding. They are thin but I found out if I starched them until they were stiff they were easy to work with. Plus, they're pretty big and I was cutting strips, too. Got a lot of strips from each and had a bandana left over for my dog to wear. Just a suggestion-thought this might be easier for you than dying them. Good luck-can't wait to see your finished project.
    Oddly enough I had thought if I had starch they would have been easier to sew.

    I'm perfectly okay with getting some cotton prints and dying them myself, but thanks for the offer. :)


    Quote Originally Posted by PennyLynn
    Did you die in the washing machine? I have a new front loader and not sure how that would work.
    I hand-dyed mine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.