Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Scrappy quilt WIP --- will post from start to finish >

Scrappy quilt WIP --- will post from start to finish

Scrappy quilt WIP --- will post from start to finish

Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM

So, today I made just a couple changes to the layout that were suggested to me. Thank you so much for the time you all spent looking at my layout and giving it your serious attention and thoughts. I appreciate the input and it was good stuff!

I had planned to use a lot of the scrappy strips for putting the blocks together and filling in between them. What happened is that as I placed them on the wall that way, it became really busy. To the point it was making me seasick, LOL. I surely do NOT want to do that to my sister. Also, it was so busy that the blocks kinda got lost in it.

So, I had to step back and formulate a new plan. I still used a few scrappy strips, but used them to make a few blocks larger rather than just plugging them in helter skelter.
I will try to use them for a border around the whole quilt as I can work it out.
I made some happy changes to the Be Healthy/Apple block; added sashing that has a health reminder in the center of each one [eat fruit, seeds and nuts, get lots of sleep, treat yourself].

Today I also joined together the blocks in the top right and bottom right sections.

top right section
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122212[/ATTACH]

bottom right section
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122213[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122207.jpe   attachment-122208.jpe  
Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Now our eyes have a place to rest.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Gal

Wow what a great idea, so creative, your sister is going to love this, what an inspirational way to begin a quilt, I love the way it all comes together. So pleased the out come for your sister is looking bright, just like your quilt! Sometimes it is better to just go with the flow and be creative letting the fabrics talk to you instead of agonizing over masses of instructions, this way there is so much of 'YOU' in the quilt!

Gal
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM

This is turning out so nice and sure shows us that we don't have to have a perfect pattern to begin a quilt. I bet you have inspired many of us to get a bit more creative. Sure hope you can share a pic of your sis with it, even if it just shows her lap with quilt on it. What a special gift and I am sure it will go a long way toward making her feel better. I do like what you did with the border stripsto break up all the little stuff. Very nice and thanks so much for showing us the progress along the way.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Looking good......this is getting exciting.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM

WOW! I wouldn't have thought it would look like that by just looking at the first pics. Its turning out very nice :)
Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM

So I've been working the quilt in 3 sections. I didn't plan it, it just worked out that way. Smiles. What I've had to do is make the sashings to join the blocks so that the sections become joinable. Todays first photo shows how I have done that.
If you look at the first photo; the 3rd section which is the long strip of blocks that make up the left side of the quilt, you will notice that the first block is wider than the other 4. What I had to do is create a sashing to make the other 4 equal to the first block. Block #2, is smaller than the other 3, so I made a seperate mini block for it. Then I made an I Spy row for the sashing for the last 3 blocks to make the whole row equal to the top block. In the I Spy row, I used things that have special meaning between she and I.
The next photo will show how when I put the 3 sections together on the wall, I still have one more space to fill.
Next photo shows that I auditioned a yellow print for that space. However, DH said it was very distracting and drew the eye away from everything else and needed to be broken up more like the rest of the quilt. I agreed, so I used some pieces of other fabrics, cut the yellow strip and inserted the other fabrics to break up the yellow.
The last photo shows the pieced top all sewn together.
Next comes adding the borders!!

left side panel, all filled out now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145630[/ATTACH]

one space left to fill
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145631[/ATTACH]

auditioning the yellow strip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145632[/ATTACH]

all sewn together, next comes borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145633[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145625.jpe   attachment-145626.jpe   attachment-145627.jpe   attachment-145628.jpe  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM

This is looking very good.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing this with us. OBTW--love your design board. I use the back of a vinyl tablecloth, but push pinned it to my wall so it's not portable like yours. Will have to get another and use the pant hangers, too.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Awesome. What a cool quilt.