Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Scrappy quilt WIP --- will post from start to finish >

Scrappy quilt WIP --- will post from start to finish

Scrappy quilt WIP --- will post from start to finish

Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Wildyard! Take care while you are away, be safe, and don't get lost. I like the red, but I can see why you might want to use the blue, since the red just pulls my eye to the binding. I really like your label and I am betting, your sister will find it PRICELESS! (and, the quilt, also, of course <g>) <wave>
Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 AM

wildyard, when I made the last post I hadn't read all the way through and didn't realize how much you've shared about this quilt. Awesome!

I love scrappy quilts and yours is absolutely beautiful! Your scrappy is amazing! Thanks for sharing its progress and I know your sister will feel your love as she is wrapped up in her her 'love quilt' during her healing process and every time she looks at it.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 AM

Just MHO but I still think just the striped border and then binding with either red or blue. Seems like the scrapy last border is just too much. But I will be happy with whatever looks good to you. Give you sis cyber hugs from all of us.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM

thank you for sharing your stories. i feel that quilting is the greatest therapy with the greatest rewards, and you are now getting double therapy. it is wonderful. scrap/scrappy quilts are my absolute favorite. about 90% of my quilts are scrappy. so here's my opinion on your borders. what about reducing the width of the striped border, and widening the scrappy border a bit? also, i very often use WOF for lengths of binding, using assorted fabrics. i like the look and it adds character to the quilt. after all, one cannot have too much character! my thoughts are with you, your sister and the love you share.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM

I am intrigued and fascinated how you have pulled this together so effortlessly and beautifully! It will be very special to her as I am sure it is for you.... thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister and families. I love your label as well... brought tears to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Ahhhh it's great to be home for a few days rest and catch up! So at last posting, I was choosing my borders and binding. I finally went with the darker blue border as I felt the quilt needed that calmer resting place to stop the eye. I just couldn't get the scrappy to be anything less than too busy to my eye.
I auditioned the red for the binding, and again, I felt the need for something calmer. I decided to use the same blue as the last border, then when I went to cut it, discovered I didn't have enough fabric. Back to square one on the binding. LOL.

I did outline quilting rather sparcely, due to the fleece backing. I'm very pleased with how that came out. I used red, dark and light blue fleece for the backing.
While trying to decide what to do, I finished the label and attached it. Because my hand sewing is just too big and irregular, I couldn't use the wording I was planning, so had to adapt it to fit. I'm still very happy with the final result.

ah, calming blue border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164411[/ATTACH]

I'm happy with the blue for the last border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164412[/ATTACH]

some of the quilting from the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164413[/ATTACH]

more of the quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164521[/ATTACH]

the label, final version on quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164588[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164406.jpe   attachment-164407.jpe   attachment-164408.jpe   attachment-164516.jpe   attachment-164583.jpe  

Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Oh Linda what a wonderful label! May it give you comfort as well. Thanks for sharing this journey with us.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

What a heartfelt label. Gave me goosebumps. Thaks for sharing your journey making this quilt with us.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

I thank happyscrappy for her binding suggestion. It is what gave me my final solution for this quilt.
I woke up this morning with the plan in my head. I used the strips from the quilt that I had left to piece the binding. I didn't have enough WOF strips for it, so I used whatever I had. I wanted to stick with just the blues for that calming effect. I am very happy with how it came out. And can you believe it? With all the piecing I did on this binding, not one join came up in a corner!!!!

strip pieced binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165138[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165133.jpe   attachment-165134.jpe  
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Now do y'all remember those 2 extra squares I had decided not to use in the quilt? Well, I'm sitting there looking at them, and at that row of scrappy that I wasn't able to use, and bam! I decided to make a bag for the quilt to go in! Later Sis can use it for a tote or for the quilt, as she wishes. Check it out!

other side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165792[/ATTACH]

bag and handle lining
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165793[/ATTACH]

first side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165980[/ATTACH]

bottom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165981[/ATTACH]

side and handle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165982[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165787.jpe   attachment-165788.jpe   attachment-165975.jpe   attachment-165976.jpe   attachment-165977.jpe