Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Shopping with Henry in the New Year

  1. #1
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Well I couldn't resist going to Joann's after being stuck in the house since the day after Christmas with a particularly nasty stomach virus that I picked up from one of my adorable nieces or nephews. I haven't figured out which one of the 9 gave it to me. But anyways. I was feeling feeling human again and felt it was safe enough to venture from home today since I have been symptom free for 2 days now.

    So I get to the store and I found that their notions were 50% off and I decided to pick up a quilting frame that's made out of PVC.

    While I was doing that one of the friendly sales associates I talk to all the time when I am in there, Susan, came over and told me that they had some jelly rolls like I was looking for last time. So I made my way over to the table and took what they had left. Of course my eyes caught the fat quarters that were coordinated to the jelly rolls so I picked those up to.

    All in all it was a good shopping trip. I had set a budget when I went in of no more than $120 dollars and I stuck to it. Even though there were more things I could have picked up and put into my cart.

    I think I did well.
    :)
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    PrettyKitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dudley, UK
    Posts
    911
    Wow Henry you did good! I like the fabrics, and I've seen those frames at a quilt show, they look very useful.

    I had Norovrus too just before Xmas, its awful isn't it! The only good side of it was I lost weight from it, but think I put it all back on over Xmas!

  3. #3
    Belinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    401
    Glad you are all better, Henry!! What a fun shopping trip...I know that had to make you feel lots better!! You got some great stuff :thumbup: :thumbup:

  4. #4
    bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,635
    Good job Henry! Glad you're feeling better. Let us know how you like the quilt frame. I went today too, I looked at the flyer online yesterday and saw that the quilting notions were 50% off. I bought bias makers in 3 different sizes and a 15 x 15 ruler. I showed some restraint - spent about $21. (That's because I just busted my budget when Thousands of Bolts was having their sale!)

  5. #5
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    And you only spent $120??????? You did fantastic!!! (I love jelly rolls....)

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,403
    Good shopping, Henry!!

  7. #7
    Super Member Janstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cashmere, Wa.
    Posts
    3,950
    Good shopping trip Henry! I admire you for sticking to your budget!!

  8. #8
    bj
    bj is offline
    Super Member bj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,558
    Henry, I have that same frame. I use it when I tie quilts, but mostly I throw a quilt over it and my grandson uses it as a fort. I put it away before his last visit and he was so mad, I had to put it back together again. :) :) I like it because it is so lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of floor space when I have a quilt on it to tie.

    BTW, do you want the Chiaverini book, Quilter's Kitchen? It doesn't have a lot of story to it, but has some good recipes (I made copies of the ones I thought I might actually make). I thought you might like it to add to your collection.

  9. #9
    Power Poster SulaBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in SANTA Land.
    Posts
    10,124
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good job Henry. You sure got some great bargains. It will be interesting to see what you make with your jelly roles.

  10. #10
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,675
    You did real well to stay within your budget! Wish I could.

    Nice things you got today!

  11. #11
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Great shopping Henry!! I went shopping today too. Went to JoAnns but didn't buy anything but will order a roll of Warm and Natural online later this evening. Found my haul at another great shop!!!

  12. #12
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    Henry, I have that same frame. I use it when I tie quilts, but mostly I throw a quilt over it and my grandson uses it as a fort. I put it away before his last visit and he was so mad, I had to put it back together again. :) :) I like it because it is so lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of floor space when I have a quilt on it to tie.

    BTW, do you want the Chiaverini book, Quilter's Kitchen? It doesn't have a lot of story to it, but has some good recipes (I made copies of the ones I thought I might actually make). I thought you might like it to add to your collection.

    I got that book for Christmas. And like you said not much story but does have some good recipes.

  13. #13
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
    Wow Henry you did good! I like the fabrics, and I've seen those frames at a quilt show, they look very useful.

    I had Norovrus too just before Xmas, its awful isn't it! The only good side of it was I lost weight from it, but think I put it all back on over Xmas!
    I lost 3 pounds myself...LOL

  14. #14
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    thanks everybody

  15. #15
    Power Poster dreamer2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    WHERE THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES
    Posts
    10,151
    Blog Entries
    7
    Hey I was there today looking at that same quilt frame
    but couldnt find the price and forgot to ask before I left...

  16. #16
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    Hey I was there today looking at that same quilt frame
    but couldn't find the price and forgot to ask before I left...
    My Joann's had it cut from 101.99 to 50.99

  17. #17
    Super Member Barb M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mission, BC
    Posts
    2,143
    Wow Henry, you made out good...i love going shopping with you :) :) And so glad you're feeling better :)

  18. #18
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    Henry-glad to hear you have shaken the bug and are out shopping. Looks like you got a great haul. I especially love your jelly rolls. What pattern are you going to use with them?

  19. #19
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Henry-glad to hear you have shaken the bug and are out shopping. Looks like you got a great haul. I especially love your jelly rolls. What pattern are you going to use with them?
    I dont know what pattern I will use yet. Looking at a few, kinda hard to choose.

  20. #20
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    Wow Henry, you made out good...i love going shopping with you :) :) And so glad you're feeling better :)
    :) Thanks! :)

  21. #21
    Super Member Barb M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mission, BC
    Posts
    2,143
    How's your hand quilting coming along Henry??? I swear mine is causing me to learn new bad words! lol So i'm still trucking along with mine, can hardly wait til my project is done :)

  22. #22
    Senior Member ljsunflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    897
    I didn't know JoAnn's had jelly rolls! That was a great haul you got there Henry. Good job.
    Linda

  23. #23
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    How's your hand quilting coming along Henry??? I swear mine is causing me to learn new bad words! lol So i'm still trucking along with mine, can hardly wait til my project is done :)
    Its coming along okay.

  24. #24
    Super Member henryparrish76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,581
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsunflower
    I didn't know JoAnn's had jelly rolls! That was a great haul you got there Henry. Good job.
    Linda
    I hadn't seen them there before until the last time I went. And there was only one left and a lady grabbed it before I could. So I made sure I grabbed these before anyone else came around them...... LOL

  25. #25
    Super Member ScubaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Puget Sound, Wa. State
    Posts
    2,176
    So,
    I don't hand quilt but could that frame be useful for a quilter?
    For what?
    Basting...uhm what else...
    Just love new stuff and wanne know.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.