Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Show me your first quilt >

Show me your first quilt

Show me your first quilt

Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM

My 1st quilt is my avatar. Made this year in an adult Ed quilting class which ran Feb thru April.

My 1st Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77827[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77822.jpe  
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM

I love this quilt. You did good.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM

My first quilt was for my DGD. I didn't take a picture of it. And when our DD got a nasty divorce her mil got rid of all things related to our dd.
It was all done by hand with heart applique for her crib. She is now 21 years old and has no idea what her Gramma did. But many other quilts have been enjoyed by others over the years. I have only in the past couple of years started to take a picture of the quilt.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the one that started it all was my daughter's wedding Dragonfly Quilt. she loves dragonflies! i had been (fighting) the whole quilting experience. have sewn since i was in 4-H at 8 years old. have a friend who is a quilter who spent (years) telling me an a regular basis that i should start quilting...i kept saying 'no way' i have no interest what so ever in cutting 800 little squares and putting them back together :mrgreen:
then my daughter saw the center block of her quilt in a magazine and just happens the lqs was offering a stained glass class, you could use any pattern you wanted so i bought the dragonfly pattern and signed up for the class. after completing the block i put it aside to learn more about quilting so i could turn it into a king size quilt. about 6 months later, the wedding date was moved up and i had to get busy to make that block into a quilt, and the rest is history...i've been pumping them out in droves :thumbup:
Wow, I can't say I have seen anyone's first quilt turn out so amazing. Good going.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SillyStitchin
Originally Posted by SillyStitchin
I give a lot of my quilts away also. Not only do I try to get a picture of the project before it leaves me, I also try to get a picture of the person with the quilt. Looks good in my scrapbook.

The first quilt I made has not been quilted. I knew nothing about quilting. I learned a lot on the first quilt I finished which was the third top I made. When I went for help I was told I could not make the quilt because I had no patterns and no tools. I guess I showed them. I made my own patterns and used my elem. school ruler. This was the result. Also shown in the avitar.

You sure did show them!! Wonderful job! :thumbup:
Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 AM

My first quilt was just finished not too long ago and posted pics. Because my computer crashed I lost all the pics. But you can find the post here if you would like to see it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49351-1.htm

Kyia
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 AM

It is my avatar, will post pics when I get it back to fix it . . . .
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 AM

This is a picture of my first quilt. In February or March of this year, my great aunt asked my mother to cut out a quilt top for her to piece. Since I didn't have hardly any quilts and had been looking for one for my bed, Mom and I picked out a pattern and fabric and cut one out for me. My great aunt hand pieced it in just a few days. I was shocked. She and I took it to one of her friends who longarm quilted it. I grew up around my grandmother and her sisters quilting (including this great aunt), but had never done much myself. When I showed it to my DBF, he was really interested and even pointed out that the two quilts he had were really old and worn out.

I have been sewing since I was little starting out with making barbie dresses. I have also made clothing, but never a quilt. So I decided to make my DBF a quilt for his birthday. I have always loved the lone star pattern and even though i have heard and read horror stories about tops made in that pattern that would not lay flat, I just decided to go for it. I was actually shocked when I completed it and it layed perfectly flat. My great aunt was also shocked that I did the entire quilt without a pattern. LOL!

I also quilted it on my home sewing machine. I wanted feathers in the corners, but decided that was probably a bit too advanced for a first quilt, so just used my walking foot and stitched the radiating lines.

My second quilt was a D9P for my mother for Mother's Day. I am now hooked and have several projects in the works now.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77832.jpe  
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 AM

I made this back in the 80's it is appliqued. I am pretty I made this one first.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77835.jpe  
Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM

These are first quilts??? No way would I post mine on here! Y'all are good.