Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick about this

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think when it's hanging up it'll show less. :wink:

Show it, you will never know unless you do.

I don't know what a quilter responsability is or would be, but I would think that they would look the top over before quilting and fix anything like this first.

I would enter it. I honestly did not notice it until inspecting it further after you told me.

The judges may bet see it either. It is a beautiful quilt!

Kyia

It's nobody's fault but my own and it's my responsibility to see that everything is as I want it to be.

I just don't know right now. I've been thinking of it most of the day. Why did I make it? To put in shows? No, I made it for my daughter. Does she care about the mistake? No, she doesn't. I told her to pick out a fabric and I would make her one.

Do I care if the "flaw" makes it not a show quality quilt? I do care some but it's still a pretty quilt. It mainly bothers me that it was a totally avoidable mistake that wasn't just because of being beyond my skill to do. It's one thing to do my best to make the difficult center star and have things go wrong. It's quite another to leave that extra fabric hanging out there because of inattention.

I have a similar thing going on with one of mine and it makes me sad just to look at it. Of course, anyone else(non-quilter) would never notice! My advice is to love it as is and maybe gift it to someone special(as I plan to do). Then, I know it will be adored and I won't be present to be p*ssed off every time I look at it.

Blog Entries
    Consider....even if you get marked down for the shadow, the rest of the work and the quilting will score high enough to keep you in the running for a top spot.

You did a beautiful job, as did Green Fairy! I was so impressed with your work, and I was fasinated with the videos of her working on it!

My vote is to enter it. As often as you can!

Another thing to consideris how many people won't be able to see and admire your beautiful work unless you enter it. Most people are not going to see your little error.

I think it is a very beautiful quilt. I would definitely enter it. It couldn't hurt anything and at least everyone would get a chance to see this wonderful work of art.

I 'd say enter it Pam! You don't want to deprive anyone from seeing this beautiful quilt that you made and that Green fairy quilted for you! If you don't get a ribbon, so what, at least people will get to see it!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    i don,t think your beauitful quilt wanted to go to show ,but just stay at home and drape on your bed,beauitful quilt and love those colors together very nice

I think the quilt is very beautiful and you should enter it in the show and see, but I would not point it out as a flaw rather a design choice as someone else suggested then the judges can disagree with your "design choice" but they can't call it a mistake. What really matters is that your daughter loves it! and she is the ultimate judge because everyone else's opinion is just that their opinion.

I love the quilt and I see the problem but to me it's suppose to be there and it's a shadow.

Go for it! I agree to let the judges decide. Even if it should not win, put it in so people like me can ooh and ahh over it. That's the joy of a show. I don't always agree with the judges and just love seeing the beautiful work of other quilters. Whatever you do, don't point out that minor flaw to anyone else...it probably won't be noticed.

Your work & Green Fairy's work is amazing!

Everyone would enjoy seeing it!
    Alot of people wouldn't even notice!

I would definitely show it. It is beautiful.

I wouldn't have noticed it if you didn't point out the flaw. I don't know anything about entering quilts into shows, but I think it is beautiful. Every quilt has its flaws (mine definitely do), I think they add character!

I don't know much about entering quilts in shows...are they always entered for competition, or sometimes just for display? Because I personally would love to just view this quilt, and would not be looking for flaws. So maybe just give us quilt show goers a treat and enter it?

very pretty

One thing is for sure: you already know about the boo-boo, so if you do decide to enter it, it wouldn't be a nasty surprise being pointed out to you. However, there probably would be comments made and not only by the judges ... are you prepared for that? Or would you even be there to hear the comments, compliments and/or criticism? I wouldn't want you to get your feelings hurt, both on general principle and because the quilt and quilting are so fabulous.

There is that... I already know about it. The other side of that is sending in the required two pictures, a full one hanging up and a close-up of the quilting. If I don't show the flaw and it is accepted and then seen in person, that seems deceptive on my part.

I couldn't with good conscience do that. Would it be any different than knowing there is a huge problem with the backing and I only present a picture of the front of a quilt for consideration?

Blog Entries
    Enter it. So what if you don't win a ribbon. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous and anyone looking at it in a show will be in awe of its beauty. Go for it! :D

Have you thought about adding a fusible bias ribbon over the shadow? you can purchase it in tons of colors

also check out iron on threads - fairly heavy weight, and have a metallic sheen anywhere from 1/8" on up

a fun one to try is Mrs. K's Iron on Thread Assortments.

here is the link: www.kreinik.com

Vicky :D

I looked at the iron-on threads... interesting. then I did searches for examples but didn't find any. I did find iron-on embroidered applique. some possibilities in tiny 1 1/2" pieces and if I could find a light blue flower that might do. Then I thought of the little flowers that are in the fabric I used. Maybe I could applique them all around the border. Or, I have a lot of the border fabric because I was going to use it for a border around the outside. Maybe I could extend that motif around the outside of it. Even leave it loose like prairie points past the point of the shadow.

I could do this though it is a whole lot of hand work and it would be obvious that they are sewn on top of the seam, not into it. I have FQs left of several of the fabrics that I could back the "points" with.

Instead of going that far maybe just use fabric crayons
    (or whatever they are) and paint something around the edge. That probably wouldn't be as obvious that it was done after the quilting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm into making it as easy as possible but still retain the same elegant feeling of the quilt that you have right now.

I've used the fusible threads and the fusible tapes - I love them both! For a long distance, I strongly recommend using a ruler so you know the line will be straight.

The quilt is in shades of blue and white, correct? How about a 3-row line of threads (should be wide enough to cover the shadow) bluewhiteblue? if you think they won't be quite wide enough, use the somewhat wider ribbon instead of thread.

If you poke around the Kreinik site a little, they used to offer a sample pack - small quantity of a couple different products so you could play with a 'copy' of the problem spot on the quilt - take pieces of the same fabrics, sew together, add batting and backing, and sew the whole thing together around the outside edge. Now you can experiment to see what works best.........I love to experiment with stuff, but not at the expense of my finished project.

Please feel free to PM me if you've got any questions. I love problem solving. I'm sure if we talk about enough options, something in that list will be perfect to solve the problem.

That quilt is so gorgeous you have got to enter it! If the right solution can be found, you won't have to worry about whether the judges will see the shadow or not.

Vicky :D

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast