Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Singer 319 in need of TLC >

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Oh yeah, I gave up on the heavy thread thing, and put it all back , the went through and adjusted the feed and needle timing as per the service manual, to correct some stitch skipping I was getting on the wide stitches (ZZ and decorative) she works beautifully now, but still makes a little noise from the hook, and popping from the cloth as my throat plate is very abused.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Oh yeah, I gave up on the heavy thread thing, and put it all back , the went through and adjusted the feed and needle timing as per the service manual, to correct some stitch skipping I was getting on the wide stitches (ZZ and decorative) she works beautifully now, but still makes a little noise from the hook, and popping from the cloth as my throat plate is very abused.
Greywuuf, I had to completely retime my 319 after my Grandson did a job on it. I did it by the seat of my pants as I did not have a service manual, nor could I find one! Would you mind posting a photo of the page that describes feed/needle timing here on this 319 forum for all of us in the future?

Nancy
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 AM

Wow, really beginning to come alive. Is this a machine made between the 301 and the 401, do you think? Wonderful to see the loving care you are giving her.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Greywuuf, I had to completely retime my 319 after my Grandson did a job on it. I did it by the seat of my pants as I did not have a service manual, nor could I find one! Would you mind posting a photo of the page that describes feed/needle timing here on this 319 forum for all of us in the future?

Nancy
Nancy, these manuals are typically available for free and to download from the vintagesingeryahoo group database.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

If you search this thread you will find a service manual link.
After working on some of each, I can for sure see where the technology went from 301 to 319 to 401.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, these manuals are typically available for free and to download from the vintagesingeryahoo group database.
I am a member of yahoo, but everytime I try to get in - I have a heck of a time! I think it is because we changed our e-mail address a couple times. They have my passwords all messed up. I have tried cleaning that up, but I still get really frustrated so I stay out!

Nancy
Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

I finally got a motor on it and it is fantastic!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

There is a link to the manual on window #23
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 AM

That was quiet a job. Nice machine.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Goop is messy - I am working in a small area at a time. There are disks/cams in the top to protect and there is an internal belt. Some machines have plastic inside - be very careful using anything with a solvent - it doesn't take much to destroy one of those kind of fragile pieces. Most likely, they can not be replaced.
I no longer use kerosene or goop when I clean. I use Mean Green or Awesome from the dollar store down the street. If it is an old black machine don't use that stuff either. Glenn has a method for cleaning those old ladies. The color machines use different finish and is ok. Always test your cleaning product somewhere and make sure it isn't taking off paint or varnish. This machine was extremely dirty and it takes something tough to clean when you do find one this filthy. I still like Dawn for cleaning but some Dawn products take off finish.

I use Triflow - Glenn uses clock oil. Do a little research and find what suits yourself.