Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Some charity quilt recipients >

Some charity quilt recipients

Some charity quilt recipients

Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
Actually, I think there is a perception worldwide that people in America are quite rich. However, I personally know more than one family who fits this exact description - right here in TX. I know of an entire subdivision who has no running water or electricity in over 30% of the homes, who still have tarps for roofs, no vehicles, or any dental care (more than one has died of run away infections from rotten teeth!) and only have wood for heat (that they chop in the woods). It's truly sad. They do barely survive.
I've also heard of places in WVa with similar living conditions.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM

I wanted to let people see what I'm doing this year. I had wanted to finish all of these this year, but am not going to get done...just not enough time.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=c064ede77f

This is a facebook photo album letting my FB friends see how it works--from quilt top to finished quilt. Then, since I'm trying to finish up 79 this year (which won't happen)....I am showing them as I finish them. I'm only up to #12 right now (I'm at the binding stage on all of them).

Maybe tomorrow I can get 5 done...we'll see. It's my goal for tomorrow. These things are kind of taking over my basement and I'm feeling claustrophobic. Too many piles of quilts! I want to get them out of my house and over to the church where I can store them til they find homes.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Justflyingin, do you sew all your 79 tops, then tie and bind each of these yourself? Where do all of these go? What motivated you to set a goal of 79 tops? I must have missed some of the previous information. Also, do you machine sew the bind on both side or hand stitch the last binding? It fascinates me that someone would set a goal of 1 1/2 quilts a week. Are these full size quilts? Told you I am fascinated!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for blessing so many others! :)
Old 12-28-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by annieshane
Justflyingin, do you sew all your 79 tops, then tie and bind each of these yourself? Where do all of these go? What motivated you to set a goal of 79 tops? I must have missed some of the previous information. Also, do you machine sew the bind on both side or hand stitch the last binding? It fascinates me that someone would set a goal of 1 1/2 quilts a week. Are these full size quilts? Told you I am fascinated!
Why 79? Because that is how many quilt tops I made or had donated this year... I wanted them made into quilts before the new year. But Christmas outreach got in the way...

(We gave away over 400 presents to the poor and needy from this area--this includes probably lower middle class who are struggling.) The quilts go to people who need them. Many are single moms, but not all are. They are just the people I have contact with. When I find out they have a need such as a quilt, they get one. We gave out a lot on Dec. 19-20 of this year because of our special Christmas programs. The ladies had a lottery and we "drew a name" and one lady from each hour (we had five programs) got to choose a quilt. I felt like a couple of the ladies needed more than one, so they got to choose more than one. I didn't want to put it under her picture, but one of the lady's teeth were pretty bad. I know they have almost no money so I made sure she took one for each one in her family--if she wanted it. Others had received some a few years ago and actually requested another one.

I originally started making them to give to victims of fires as we get a lot of that in the winter as many people overload poorly wired houses (usually quite old wooden houses that were confiscated from Jews during WW2) with extra electrical heaters and lose everything. But then I saw that when that happens, often they receive a lot of donations from everyone. So, I kind of changed in route and wanted to give to single moms, abused women with kids, or just people (families) who are struggling financially. Mostly it is because life can be pretty ugly here and a bit of something pretty can cheer up a woman--every day of the week. Sometimes life can be bleak.

So, to make a long story short...there was no special reason for 79--I was just tired of looking at so many quilt tops. They are all either twin sized or larger except for 2, I think.

I'll put on the description if it was a donated quilt top--already finished as a quilt top when I received it.--We have one ladies' group that sent me several.

Plus...I was trying to use up 50 meters of red and 50 meters of green fabric that someone donated this summer. They want to see what I did with the fabric. So, I sewed and sewed...trying to get them pics. Well, I've not gotten the pics yet...but hopefully within the next month....
Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM

I also wanted to add that I had a bunch of squares that a church in IN donated. Apparently someone in their church owned a place that got samples of decorator fabrics. They cut them up into rather large squares and sent them to me. Or maybe they just gave them to me and I brought them back on the plane. Can't remember...but I know they came from the Indianapolis area.

Also, they sent me some rather strange shaped oblong pieces which I put together with some other oblong pieces that I cut to match and made up a quite pretty quilt top. (It's now shown yet because I've not finished the binding yet.) So, I've not come up with all the fabric myself. However, I do buy most of my fabric here in Poland at the used clothing store--buying curtains and bedding and using that.

For example, of these four quilts...only the third one down is one I came up with the fabric for. At that, the floral print came to me all rolled up in a jelly roll type thing. I just found coordinating fabrics and made it into a rail fence.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...photo_comment#!/photo.php?fbid=458658207807&set=a.457076212807.256101.701112807&notif_t=photo_comment

The other three in this picture were the squares donated from that one church in IN.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 PM

What an awesome cause to work towards. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Yes, it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round....:)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I hope you realize how special you are...
Ditto.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM

Who is this group of families in the photos and how can we here help you? I should have read the complete post... Christ's love truly shines though your whole family. What do you need the most? Does money serve you better or fabric or completed tops? I would like to help your ministry as best I can, Cindy... What an awesome God we serve.