Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests >

Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests

Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests

Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 PM

Wow...would love to have one of those. They are beautiful.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
One of the things I love about this board is the people you find. Uncle John we wondered where you went. I am just over the other hill. Cousin Cindy nice to finally meet you. Your work is beautiful. We should have a family reunion. Probably not enough room Uncle John for all your relations. Do you sell them? Not the relations the chests. They probably are very heavy. (Again not the relations, the chests). Love that you quilt and your workmanship is beautiful. God bless and keep it up. BrendaK
I am taking all offers on a couple of my relations, and they are in fact heavy. As to the chests, I have no desire to get back into the commercial business of woodworking. I am just doing it now for my own delight; and hopefully the delight of those viewing it. It is so labor intensive the way I do these things, that to put a price on them would broach the absurd in today's economy. You would be better off looking for antiques and either refinishing them or adapting them, as is, to your own life from a cost stand point. Thanks for the offer and the praise. That is worth more than any money I could get.
John
Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15
After reading all the post I don't think that I can say anything new. Those are a great gift and I'm sure they will be cherished for many years down the road.

I didn't see a response to the question if you sold them. Just wondering as the adoption line is longer than an amusement park.
No, I don't sell anything anymore. It is too labor intensive to make these sort of things, and the price would be offensive in today's economy. Thanks for asking though.
John
Old 09-10-2011, 02:09 AM

You are surely a "favorite" uncle. Those pieces are just beautiful
Old 09-10-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
The first 2 pictures are of the style of hope chest that I have made for each of my nieces at about age 16 or so, for Wedding Dowry storage and quilt storage. I previously have given them each a quilt of their own. The Chest is constructed of Pine and is made with dovetailed corners and Solid brass handles, and solid brass keyed lock. The top is of the floating panel style which allows for expansion and contraction due to humidity changes (important). The bottom of the chest is made of fragrant Cedar to inhibit moths. The 3rd and 4th Pictures are of a Standard blanket storage chest with a breadboard top and cedar bottom, that I make for myself. Dovetail construction throughout, and Cast Iron handles and no lock. The brass hinges on the chest allow for the placement of the chest up close against a wall or other obstruction, because they move forward when the chest is opened and do not allow the top to come into contact against the wall. I love making these chests for the nieces as they are a throwback to an earlier time. When dowry chests were the common first piece of furniture that a young woman would acquire, usually from an Uncle or other relative. Even though dowry is not much in common usage in America in the 21st century, The gift, I hope, is still appreciated.
John
YOU ARE TRUELY BLESSED WITH TALENT KEEP UP THE AWESOME THINGS YOU BUILD.THEY ARE TRUELY VERY VERY NICE.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 AM

love them. I have one that has class on three sides so you can see the quilts. Have you thought of that
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 AM

OHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh beautifulllllll
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 AM

You are so talented! I search your name everyday to see what you have to share! The chest is gorgeous as is all of your other wood works of art. Love all the quilts too!
It is so nice to see the passions that everyone has. Woodworking and quilting is obviously yours, amoung other things.
Peace and blessings,
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 AM

Your wood work is gorgeous and so are your quilts
Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by grangerite
love them. I have one that has class on three sides so you can see the quilts. Have you thought of that
I did see one like that online. It was four sided with glass and the top was glass cased. The only solid parts were the bottom and the panelling to hold the glass in place. I showed it to my wife and she said, Hmm. Coffee table? That would be dramatic, to say the least, and if you used heavy plate for the top, you could pull it off. I might give one a try in-between everything else that seems to be piling up on my plate.
John