Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests >

Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests

Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests

Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Fantastic work.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM

What a lovely idea and incredible gift for your nieces!! I love the idea of going back to those times. What a fabulous Uncle you are!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM

I look at all of your wood-working projects and drool all over my keyboard. Your work is spectacular...thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 PM

John I think I could sit & look at your fabulous woodwork all day long! Gorgeous, stunning and perfect! Keep up the awesome job you do. Your nieces are quite lucky and I hope they appreciate them for many many years. Your pieces will last forever.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 PM

Your chests are beautiful and although the old "hope chest" days seem to be gone I still treasure the solid cedar hope chest my mother left me. The key is long lost and I did have to refinish the outside a number of years ago, but it is still very serviceable and a nice piece of furniture. I believe my mom received it between 1925 and 1930.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
Brenda K

Come on Uncle John, we know that you can do it. What can't you do? Will look forward to pictures when it's finished, just don't forget to continue to quilt. I bet there are a lot of ideas going around in your head. Sew little time, sew much to do. BrendaK
Here for your personal enjoyment is what I thought about this morning and whipped up this afternoon. A sample of things to come. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151893-1.htm
John[/quote]

No end to your many talents. Be sure to show us when it's finished. BrendaK
Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 AM

Very Nice...your work is Amazing!!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Who wouldn't appreciate a beautiful, handmade piece of work... made specifically for them? Your nieces are lucky!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
The first 2 pictures are of the style of hope chest that I have made for each of my nieces at about age 16 or so, for Wedding Dowry storage and quilt storage. I previously have given them each a quilt of their own. The Chest is constructed of Pine and is made with dovetailed corners and Solid brass handles, and solid brass keyed lock. The top is of the floating panel style which allows for expansion and contraction due to humidity changes (important). The bottom of the chest is made of fragrant Cedar to inhibit moths. The 3rd and 4th Pictures are of a Standard blanket storage chest with a breadboard top and cedar bottom, that I make for myself. Dovetail construction throughout, and Cast Iron handles and no lock. The brass hinges on the chest allow for the placement of the chest up close against a wall or other obstruction, because they move forward when the chest is opened and do not allow the top to come into contact against the wall. I love making these chests for the nieces as they are a throwback to an earlier time. When dowry chests were the common first piece of furniture that a young woman would acquire, usually from an Uncle or other relative. Even though dowry is not much in common usage in America in the 21st century, The gift, I hope, is still appreciated.
John
Your nieces are lucky girls. If you were my uncle I would love to receive one of these. They are beautiful. You are very talented.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM

those girls are lucky ducks!