Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests >

Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests

Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests

Old 09-09-2011, 04:50 AM

Gorgeous!
Maureen
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 AM

Beautiful! I especially love the design of the first one! My uncle took up woodworking, after retirement, and makes all sorts of big and small pieces....BUT...he doesn't quilt! Bravo to you for that :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

These are beautiful! Such detailed work! Thanks for sharing with us! :)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 AM

John, you do awesome work both in woodworking and quilting. I loved the photos of your woodworking shop.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 AM

Sure wish you were my uncle... There's a love in your hands and your heart. :thumbup:
Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Those are really pretty chests, you did a wonderful job on them. I would love to have one of those but not place to put it.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:12 AM

Absolutely beautiful! Will you adopt me? :D
Old 09-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Here are 3 pictures of my quilt trunk. My hubby made this about 5 years ago. The quilt on top is hand quilted by a friend . The top was found in a pile with 3 others at a yard sale for $3.00 each. How lucky was that. hehehe
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253680.jpe   attachment-253681.jpe   attachment-253682.jpe  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
The first 2 pictures are of the style of hope chest that I have made for each of my nieces at about age 16 or so, for Wedding Dowry storage and quilt storage. I previously have given them each a quilt of their own. The Chest is constructed of Pine and is made with dovetailed corners and Solid brass handles, and solid brass keyed lock. The top is of the floating panel style which allows for expansion and contraction due to humidity changes (important). The bottom of the chest is made of fragrant Cedar to inhibit moths. The 3rd and 4th Pictures are of a Standard blanket storage chest with a breadboard top and cedar bottom, that I make for myself. Dovetail construction throughout, and Cast Iron handles and no lock. The brass hinges on the chest allow for the placement of the chest up close against a wall or other obstruction, because they move forward when the chest is opened and do not allow the top to come into contact against the wall. I love making these chests for the nieces as they are a throwback to an earlier time. When dowry chests were the common first piece of furniture that a young woman would acquire, usually from an Uncle or other relative. Even though dowry is not much in common usage in America in the 21st century, The gift, I hope, is still appreciated.
John
Forgot to say how beautiful your chests are. Are they cherry? Very lucky girls to be able to benefit from your hard work. Great woodworking too. Hugs, Noiseynana
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Beautiful chests. Are you like my husband? You've never seen a tool you didn't like.. lol
Thank you for showing your wonderful work.
Mia