Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Starting the remake of an old quilt >

Starting the remake of an old quilt

Starting the remake of an old quilt

Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 AM

Default Fabric on Embroidered blocks

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
I did quilt around the embroidery (which wasn't done in the original) to stabilize the blocks a little bit, and also on both sides of the red framing. There were three small holes--you may notice appliques of a butterfly, a partial mouse, and a bow on one of the cat's tails.

In the photo, the fabric of your embroidered blocks looks like it may be heavier than regular muslin. Is that true? I think that's why my blocks survived.
Actually, I think the fabric for the embroidered blocks are some white bed sheets. The fabric is so thin but I have stabilized it with some 99F Pellon to make it more sturdy.

When you quilted around the embroidery did you FMQ close to the embroidery so it wouldn't show?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
When you quilted around the embroidery did you FMQ close to the embroidery so it wouldn't show?
Yes, close to the embroidery. It was before my hands got so bad, and I was still hand quilting at that time. I think FMQing as you suggest would be fine.

Daffy
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful work!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Can not wait to see it...it will be beautiful
Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM

I finished the piecing, sandwiched/pinned, and about to mark the quilt for quilting. I think on the pinwheels I will either do a meadering/stippling stitch or a clamshell. Around the embroidered designs I will outline as we discussed.

Which design do you think would look best - stippling or clamshell on the pinwheels. Or if you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears! -

Thanks,
Julie
Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Finished the remake!!!!

Oh -- this was a labor of love. Made the quilt design and the quilting template and seemed like it took forever to quilt. Had a little snafu with marking the template. Used a washable marker and some of the 'dots' for the marking didn't come off, but the the template design is so dense and after washing the quilt scrunched up a lot and so it's very hard to see the dots on a couple squares. Had to point them out to my DH and he said don't worry about it, nobody would notice.

I'm not in love with the colors but they do bring out the colors of the embroidery, it's just that you can't see the colors of the embroidery that well. My daughter also loves chevrons and all of the colors on the back of the quilt are also in the embroidery so I incorporated it into the back of the quilt. She really loved that part so she can use either side and can also see the quilting on the back of the quilt.

My daughter has seen a pic but she won't receive the quilt until her birthday in October, so it will be a surprise 'again' when she sees it in person.

Just handstitching the binding and will be finished tonight. Now....on to the next quilt. A 3yd lap quilt for my grandson.....Cars...yep....that's it.

stitch124
Attached Thumbnails remake2.jpg   remake1.jpg  

Last edited by Stitch124; 07-26-2013 at 05:43 AM.