Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To swap or not to swap advice needed(pictures included)

Hi All-

I need some advice. I was working on a wall hanging for the October secret swap. Well it did not turn out as nice as I had hoped. Please take a look and see if you think I should just keep it and buy something for the swap. I appreciate your advice.I did not stitch the binding onthe front yet so I can play with it a bit yet.

Would you be disappointed if you got something like this? I don't want to impose my inferior quilting on anyone.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's cute as can be! I don't do machine quilting and am in awe of those who are more adventurous than I am.

Thanks mom. I just hear those horror stories about quilters who are so disappointed that they did a swap and got inferior work. I am still new and working out kinks in my projects. Don't want to offend anyone.

I like it. I think whoever will get it will love it.

I am a new quilter and also have been participating in those swaps too. I love it, so cute! I would love it if I were to get one. Great job.

Blog Entries
    There is nothing inferior about something crafted with love and good intentions! If I was involved in the swap, I'd be honored to get this!!! I think it's adorable!

Thank you everyone. I unpinned this and put it to the side until I figure out how to make it straighter so I can live with it .

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    There is nothing inferior about something crafted with love and good intentions! If I was involved in the swap, I'd be honored to get this!!! I think it's adorable!
    I agree with Charlee. I have been in several doll quilt swaps and have NEVER been dissapointed in any quilt I have received. So I say SEND IT.

Blog Entries
    i hate to think any of us would not be thrilled to receive your little wall hanging. i don't know of any of us who receive something so special from a fellow quilter and then complain it's not good enough! we all know that we are at various stages of ability and we participate in these programs to learn new thing and stretch our abilities. we do not pick apart someones attempt (well, unless someone says...i did this wrong...how do i fix it maybe) i think we are bad enough on our own criticizing our own work, we only praise the work of others! :) finish your binding and mark it off your list...another accomplished!

Thank you all for making me feel better. I'm going to set a goal of tomorrow morning to be finished with this. I am working from 2-8 today. so, I have between now and 2 and then an hour or so in the morning to finish it. I have not heard such stories of disappointment here. However, I have heard them on other boards.

Thanks again. I look forward to these swaps so much :)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's a cute project. Swap with pride!

I think it's great !! I am a newbie at quilting too - we all have to start somewhere!! I would be honoured to receive something someone had made !

Blog Entries
    I would love to receive this quilt :D:D:D

ARE YOU KIDDING?? I would LOVE to get that I hope you have my name :-)

I would be proud to receive it!

nice job but it seems to be missing something maybe a small border or for your binding use some of the cute halloween prints candy corn maybe and i found some bags of loose leaves maple and oak at joanns for a buck a piece that i sewed in the corners of my halloween hanging gave it some 3d punch but i love your fmq nice job mine is terrible still trying to work out the kinks! lol

Blog Entries
    Looks great to me and if I were in the swap and got this I would be happy.

Blog Entries
    I'll give you my standard pep talk! We don't join these swaps to get perfect pieces. We do it for the love of the art and I especially love the fact that no matter the skill level that piece was held by you another board member. The love and caring you put into your piece is soooo much more important than whether it is done with precision. It is also fun to get these and then watch your skills improve over time. then the reciever can say I got one of her first swap projects!! How special is that!!!

so take a deep breath do the best you can on it and put all the love into it you can and send it!! She or he will LOVE it!! It came from YOU!

BTW I am not into Halloween but this one is Cute!

:) I feel so much better now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki128
    :) I feel so much better now
    BTW I am a quilter of 30 yrs and a miniaturist but I see faults in everything I make. We really are our own worst critics. Sometimes you have to close your eyes to the faults and say I did my best. It's fine! And move on!

The swap should be a fun experience not a stressful time. So enjoy putting your piece together!! You're doing a great job of it!!

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki128
    Thanks mom. I just hear those horror stories about quilters who are so disappointed that they did a swap and got inferior work. I am still new and working out kinks in my projects. Don't want to offend anyone.
    Ahh um, I would be happy to have that, I really would. Your best intentions went into that project and I would own it happily. I, too, am a new quilter and doing a project. Last night I ended up with two puckers. It is for an exchange. My first thought was to pitch it and start over. I don't have the time so, puckers and all, it is going out in the mail over the weekend. If the person who receives it doesn't like it, by all means pitch it :)

I think it's adorable

np3
    Blog Entries
    It looks really cute! Go finish it.

Oh my gosh....if that is the work of someone who is "new' then I am in trouble!! I am very new (started in July) and wish I could make something that wonderful! Swap with pride!

I see nothing wrong with it all..I think it is very cute.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast