Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Is there any hope for this top? >

Is there any hope for this top?

Is there any hope for this top?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Administrator

i saw an episode of Simply Quilts several years ago of which the subject was quilt restoration and preservation. the expert said that when they're fixing up a quilt that's in the sort of condition you describe, they cover the weak spots with very fine, very sheer netting. it's cut and applied so that the stitches holding it on will disappear into the overall design.

maybe you could do the same. to make it easy, cover the whole thing with one big piece of netting. add handquilting to hold it in place.

just a thought.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I would finish it the way it is, maybe a border and then batting and backing and saved as a special keepsake...good work on the hand piecing.
Thanks Linda! My mom sewed, never quilted. I sewed then began quilting because of a good friend almost 30 years ago. How I would have loved to watch GGM hand piece these blocks!

Border? I haven't even thought about that - but need to!

:D
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
I gasped when you suggested machine stitching across this! I think I'm seeing that the top was put together with hand stiches so my thinking is that you need to follow suit with hand quilting. Also, hand quilting was characteristic of the time the quilt was assembled. Do be careful though as some of the fabrics may be prone to being torn with the "stress" of the up and down motion of the needle. This is one place that larger stitches may be in order, reducing that stress on the fabrics--more supportive than decorative but still adding that extra dimension with the quilting design. Liked the idea of a motif inside the white spaces!
You gasped and now I am gasping! It NEVER occurred to me to handquilt this top. The timing is great as I have my next handquilting project hanging on the wall, waiting for me to get it sandwiched.

You are right - hand pieced deserves hand quilted!

(Now just you look at the work you created for me! NR!)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i saw an episode of Simply Quilts several years ago of which the subject was quilt restoration and preservation. the expert said that when they're fixing up a quilt that's in the sort of condition you describe, they cover the weak spots with very fine, very sheer netting. it's cut and applied so that the stitches holding it on will disappear into the overall design.

maybe you could do the same. to make it easy, cover the whole thing with one big piece of netting. add handquilting to hold it in place.

just a thought.
Thanks for passing this along. I will definitely dig deeper into this.

:thumbup:
Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I agree with the wall hanging. You could also put it in a glass frame.
I agree