Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Is there any hope for this top? >

Is there any hope for this top?

Is there any hope for this top?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
How about taking good sections of it and have those sections framed?
Thank you for the suggestion to frame part of it. I could not bear to toss away anything that had to be removed. Too sentimental, I guess.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Toto's Mom
You can always cover some of the paint spots with small lace rosettes, and maybe use ribbon to cover small holes. I wouldn't worry about imperfections like small tucks. They will give your things "character".
I have some that have been made from the salvaged parts of old quilts, and they work well with my vintage quilts, and bears.
Breaks my heart to see all that labor of love not treated with the respect it deserved.
Kudos to you for rescuing a part of your heritage.
Oh, I like this idea, too........lace and ribbon. It is important that my restoration standards are high as I plan to inherit this from Mom. (tucks aside, that is)

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
I would try Googling "quilt museums". Depending on where you live there might be one near you. They have experts on antique quilts such as this one and would be able give you good advice. Good luck.
I did exactly as you suggested and it looks like the closest one to me is in Paducah, Ky - more than 12 hours away. But it does get me thinking in these terms and have more confidence which questions to ask.

Thank you so much for your insight!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM

Im glad that i have 2 quilts that my grandmother did before i was born, i will always treasure it. So I'm hoping that you can fix this, sorry thqat i don;t have a clue on how to do it but i loved this pattern that they used. Good luck
Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
Your greatgrandmother was quite careful to compose her blocks with stripes turned to please the eye...I can certainly forgive a tuck or two, can't you? Taking it apart is not going to strengthen it...I'm in agreement with you that it will not hold up for actual use, but it should be finished and occasionally displayed to be enjoyed and always cherished. Whatever you do to preserve it will be far better than leaving it in its present state. I'd consider using lightweight fusible stabilizer on the backside of the weak fabs... what is your plan for quilting? Consider the paint as beauty marks...that's a kind term for AGE SPOTS...the top has survived...scars, warts, neglect, and abuse...all of those are just as much a part of it now as the original work your ggm did...celebrate them and LOVE that top pretty...you can do it...you just have to want to! Thanks for sharing the photo and good luck!
Thank you so much for pointing out the stripes direction - sadly, I had not picked up on that. I didn't dare take it apart - it is so fragile as it is that I am afraid to even wash it. I forgot that I had considered using stabilizer - I believe that is a must! Should I cut the stabilizer to fit the pieces, avoiding covering the seams - or should I cut a larger piece to cover the block? It would seem that covering the seams would strengthen it. Are there flaws in my logic?

Quilting? Had thought about cross hatching on my machine (something I can do with decent success), and/or maybe handquilting a motif in the center of the stars.

Thank you so much for painting a different picture in my eyes - the story this quilt has to tell after all these many years. There has to be a way to include that on the label when I finish it.

Thanks for EVERYTHING!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I agree with the wall hanging. You could also put it in a glass frame.
I have surfed and found that there are so many different kinds of frames, shadow boxes, etc to keep treasures in. Trouble is, it has me thinking of other projects as well!

Does the list ever get shorter? (never for me - I'm just delusional enough to think I am getting a handle on it, then it moves!)

hugs.........
Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Awesome treasure!
Thank you! I will post a photo when I finish it - sooner rather than later.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
If there are others who would also treasure this piece, it might lend itself to being cut into maybe 4 smaller tops for sharing and more appropriate for hanging?? Consider the paint spots part of the quilt's story. It has one to tell! I, too, quilted a very old top but was told it no longer was an antique since the quilting was new. Perhaps it needs to be folded and displayed that way but, like you, I felt the aging fabrics needed some support and am pleased that I did quilt it. I feel safer handling the aging fabrics. You have a personal treasure since it was pieced from your clothes so you should do whatever it takes to really enjoy the quilt and your great-grandmother's efforts. You will reconnect with your g-gma as you, too, put stitches into it--and those tucks will disappear. Only you will recognize each fabric so enjoy it. That's what she hoped you would do.
Thank you for a great suggestion to share this quilt. I can hardly bear the thought of cutting away the rotted pieces. I hope the quality of my work survives so that MY gd (now 3-1/2) receives it. And you are right, the story needs to travel with it.

Thanks for such a sweet observation.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 AM

I gasped when you suggested machine stitching across this! I think I'm seeing that the top was put together with hand stiches so my thinking is that you need to follow suit with hand quilting. Also, hand quilting was characteristic of the time the quilt was assembled. Do be careful though as some of the fabrics may be prone to being torn with the "stress" of the up and down motion of the needle. This is one place that larger stitches may be in order, reducing that stress on the fabrics--more supportive than decorative but still adding that extra dimension with the quilting design. Liked the idea of a motif inside the white spaces!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
This is not bland at all! Its very appealing. If mom wants it finished I would say finish it but tell her its not good for daily use just lay it over a quilt rack in your room or on your wall to enjoy. If she wants it for daily use it was her grandmothers quilt right? So its hers to decide. If she doesnt want it cut up you need to respect that. I agree, fusible on the underside might help make the entire quilt stronger, less flexible but stronger. Its not perfect you can patch a piece or two over the top of the shredded ones, ripping seams seems like danger zone to me once you start.. you could be starting all over and then its not your grandmothers quilt is it? Good luck and enjoy it. I think its a pretty one.
Thanks Elisabrat for pointing out that it is Moms to do with as she pleases. She uses the quilts I have made her in the past - but I will have to made her understand that this is a very special situation and ggm's quilt won't "play" like the others.

Yes, stabilizer! I think I will reposition those few blocks that make the top uneven and square it up. That will keep with the spirit of ggm's quilt; something I REALLY want to do.

Thank you for leading me to see it through YOUR eyes.