Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Thinking Outside the Block by toadusew - Black and White quilt top >

Thinking Outside the Block by toadusew - Black and White quilt top

Thinking Outside the Block by toadusew - Black and White quilt top

Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM

I just love it!!! I've looked at that pattern many times, may now that I see how truly beautiful it is I should go ahead and get it!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I think the kit is just the pattern, the yardage, how many strips, etc. I would search the forum for Toadusa's website and info = it should give you details of what is in the kit.

I will start posting pictures tomorrow - I wanted to get the pieces cut first.
OK everyone - here are some pics of the work in progress. If this comes out as well as I think it will, I am going to enter it in the Connecticut Durham Fair in September. All 1100 pieces are cut and I have 25 blocks put together so I laid them out to see how the pattern was evolving. I even have the quilting pattern - I saw one from Karen Combs's book on Celtic Illusions that loooks like it might work for this quilt. My DD BETTER love it!!!!

:D
Here is some further progress. The quilt so far has 75 blocks pieced and after I get the rest done, I will start sewing the blocks together. I made one mistake (I was totally not paying attention) and sewed 16 strips to the wrong side of 16 blocks. Ripped those out and fixed and kept going. I grouped all the block strips into sets of 25. I found it takes about a 1/2 hour to sew 2 strips to each block. So basically if you only sew for a 1/2 hour a day, 5 days, you can have 100 blocks pieced in a month.

75 blocks so far!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86587[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86582.jpe  
Old 06-16-2010, 05:07 AM

Wow, they are really looking good!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 AM

I think the kit is just the pattern, the yardage, how many strips, etc. I would search the forum for Toadusa's website and info = it should give you details of what is in the kit.

I will start posting pictures tomorrow - I wanted to get the pieces cut first.
OK everyone - here are some pics of the work in progress. If this comes out as well as I think it will, I am going to enter it in the Connecticut Durham Fair in September. All 1100 pieces are cut and I have 25 blocks put together so I laid them out to see how the pattern was evolving. I even have the quilting pattern - I saw one from Karen Combs's book on Celtic Illusions that loooks like it might work for this quilt. My DD BETTER love it!!!!

:D
Here is some further progress. The quilt so far has 75 blocks pieced and after I get the rest done, I will start sewing the blocks together. I made one mistake (I was totally not paying attention) and sewed 16 strips to the wrong side of 16 blocks. Ripped those out and fixed and kept going. I grouped all the block strips into sets of 25. I found it takes about a 1/2 hour to sew 2 strips to each block. So basically if you only sew for a 1/2 hour a day, 5 days, you can have 100 blocks pieced in a month.
Can you tell me what size your quilt is going to be. I have the pattern with several sizes in it and am planning on doing a Queen size. Love your quilt by the way, and especially love the way you alternated the colours in your blocks. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Sure - it is cool. This is a 5' by 5' approximate finished quilt (a little bigger after the borders are added). Each block unfinished is 6.5".
Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 AM

Sure - it is cool. This is a 5' by 5' approximate finished quilt (a little bigger after the borders are added). Each block unfinished is 6.5".
Amazingly, I found one of the original patterns (by Toadusew) in my pattern stash (do we all have pattern stashes as well as fabric stashes?). Since the center square in the pattern is cut 2" (rather than 1.5") and there is one more row of strips on each block, the blocks should come out to 7.5" each, finished.

I'm planning a 10x10 block version, which will be 75" square, plus borders to make a bed-size quilt.

Thanks so much for your postings! I'm anxious to get started.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 AM

I have to say that this is afun quilt to make. I just finished all the blocks and will start piecing them together tonight. I am going to work in quarters, then sew two of the quarters together, add the border, batting and backing and then quilt. I will repeat with the remaining quarters and then sew the two halves together. I find this way easier than trying to quilt the entire top in one go - even with my Baby Lock, there still isn't enough room under the arm to quilt comfortably.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM

I bought my black and white fabrics on Saturday ... and will use jewel tones for the accents (cobalt blue, emerald green, royal purple, perhaps ruby and turquoise). This is going to be a wedding gift for my niece in November. I'm planning to use the emerald for the first border, and then either the mostly black or one of the blk/whts for the next border.

So excited and anxious to start...cutting 1300 pieces :-).

fabrics for blk white quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88951.jpe  
Old 06-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Very nice! He did a good job helping you pick out colors.

Oh, and hi from a native Eurekan :)
Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mbunny
Very nice! He did a good job helping you pick out colors.

Oh, and hi from a native Eurekan :)
Hi! right back at you. A native Eurekan! Wow! That's an endangered species, isn't it? We're transplants from Ventura County to McKinleyville but I'm a native Californian. Counts for something, just not sure what!
Grandson loves his quilt! He did do a good job on colors. I'm real proud of him.
Yvonne