Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It took four generations to finish this!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt and even better story to go with it! I love the pattern...those stars do twinkle at you..must be grandma's wink. Hope you can take care of the stain..sounds like some great advice here. As for me...I don't have a clue what to do with it. Good luck...its a beauty!

Blog Entries
    Here's a little more information about the quilt from Renee.

Thanks that is a cool web posting you've got. A little more about
    the quilt you probably know is that its pieces were made from flower
    sacks according to mom. At that time flour was sold in a cotton bag
    a lot like a pillow case, they made print on them because they saw
    people were making clothing for their kids with them.

My Mom said Renee was looking for something to do for her high school sewing class and had all the confidence in the world that she could do this. It just took a few more years than she figured. She and my Mom got the fabric and batting, then Renee took it to school where the teacher helped her sandwhich it. I think that's all I know about this quilt. They have no idea about what year the quilt was started...

Can't wait to try the vinegar "treatment." Although, it does sound rather harsh. That's very acid. I have a brown stain on a crocheted child's cape (from the 70s) that formed after being in a cedar chest for some time. It wasn't wrapped, but it was away from the sides of the chest. I usually use Biz and Ivory Snow to soak out stains. Usually works very well (haven't tried it on the crocheted item).

WOW!!! I love to see old quilts, I have one that my great grandmother had pieced the top & for my bridal shower my grandmother finished it as her gift to me, I treasure it very much! My shower was 36 yrs ago. My Gram is still alive at the young age of 96 & still hand pieces quilts to keep her hands busy & lives in her own home. She is so blessed & Loved alot!I know you'll cherish your quilt :lol:

Colonial Williasmburg has a huge collection of old (dating back to
    the 1800's) guilts...they maintain and clean these items when they
    recieve them and store them also. they could probably tell you how
    to wash it and store it. The phone number is 800-446-99240
    This is a free number and ask to speak to someone in the textile
    museum...They might me able to help you.

That is a great tip to call Colonial Williasmburg. I think the quilt is simply lovely and certainly does need to be preserved. Thanks for posting it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse
    Colonial Williasmburg has a huge collection of old (dating back to
    the 1800's) quilts... The phone number is 800-446-99240
    This is a free number and ask to speak to someone in the textile
    museum...They might me able to help you.
    Thanks! I've sent this on to my sis!

Stain or no stain....that quilt is beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Don't know about the stain but what a pretty quilt and great heirloom to have.

What a wonderful story. I hope you can successfully remove the stain. I have actually used Scrubbing Bubbles on clothing to remove stubborn stains and all else has failed, but I sure wouldn't want to recommend that and risk damaging the quilt. A treasure, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry View Post
    How cool Celeste!!! What an awesome family treasure. I don't have any suggestions on the stain either, do you know what it's from? Regardless, its a beautiful piece!!! Lets not call it a stain, lets call it a historic characteristic :-)
    I agree 100%! And that's not a stain... it's a beauty mark (hey, if Cindy Crawford can work that angle, why not quilters? LOL!)!!! I love how bright & cheery it is!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Gorgeous quilt!
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Power Poster
    I would see what the historical people say about it first. I know there is a product called Retro clean that is supposed to restore old quilts but I have never tried it.
    WHOA!!!!! I just noticed this post was from 2008 so the problem must have been resolved by now?

Quilt guild a bnch of years ago said use "naptha soap" (none of todays chemicals) that you can buy on the web or an old 5 and dime! Use a potatoe grater and then make a paste and they sugested in the bathtub or soak in the washer with no aggitation and the gentlest spin just enough to be able to get it out of the tub without all the water weight. Then hang it outside. These ladies were saving and recovering old linens and quilts old white gloves (a little easier to play with). Good luck that is an awesome quilt!
    Bonitagaye...proud new Gramma

I use Retro Clean and it works wonders! I love it for vintage items. It safely removes all kinds of stains. Check out their website.
    16-3 onjh

I would soak it in a tub with a mild solution of Oxiclean and toss in a color grabber. rinse it well, DO NOT WRING IT OUT, take it outdoors and lay it on a blanket on the grass to dry. Good luck with it, and let me know how well it works for you

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt ! That is a treasure for sure, hope you are able to get the stain out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2