Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Tote Bag/ Dog food bag. hope this is the end >

Tote Bag/ Dog food bag. hope this is the end

Tote Bag/ Dog food bag. hope this is the end

Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Scrappy cats, the cat litter bags would be okay, they wouldnt be greasy and they wouldnt stink!
The dog food bag sure is cute though!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Oh I think it is soooo cute!! I would use one! But I would use Dawn to get rid of the greasy feel and then you could seal the inside with a coat of spray polyurethyne.Once dry that will kill the smell. I love it!!
Well, I used laundry detergent and hot hot water. If that doesn't get rid of the smell and residue nothing will. I think the greasy feel is just permeated into the plastic, the smell sure is. And I would be more bothered by the smell of the poyurethane than the dog food, if it didn't melt the plastic. Personally, why not just use them for trash and throw them out with it weekly. I have plenty of old fabric I could use as cuter tote bags than advertising dog food.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Try turning it inside out again and dousing it with a degreaser. Use the hose on it and let sun dry...line with a garbage bag to prevent any leftover odors.....or just toss out.... :roll: :oops: :cry: better yet you can just use it to collect the "deposits" from the dog... :roll:
You must have more spare time than I do. I can't get my own laundry done, let alone wash dog food bags with degreaser.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Oh I think it is soooo cute!! I would use one! But I would use Dawn to get rid of the greasy feel and then you could seal the inside with a coat of spray polyurethyne.Once dry that will kill the smell. I love it!!
Well, I used laundry detergent and hot hot water. If that doesn't get rid of the smell and residue nothing will. I think the greasy feel is just permeated into the plastic, the smell sure is. And I would be more bothered by the smell of the poyurethane than the dog food, if it didn't melt the plastic. Personally, why not just use them for trash and throw them out with it weekly. I have plenty of old fabric I could use as cuter tote bags than advertising dog food.
It appeals to me for the advertising. I collect old advertising and it is a graphic art kind of thing too. I may have to think about this. Maybe another type of bag would be better to use than the dog food but I love the idea. It is kind of a folk art sort of thing. I collect old cereal boxes and I have a Kelloggs box and old Oatmeal boxes etc. I love the advertising because advertising changes so fast. What was used when I was a kid and even when my kids were little is no longer being used. so it is collectible now! Companies go under or change management and that means constant changes in advertising. It is fun to collect!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM

AMEN!!!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM

It appeals to me for the advertising. I collect old advertising and it is a graphic art kind of thing too. I may have to think about this. Maybe another type of bag would be better to use than the dog food but I love the idea. It is kind of a folk art sort of thing. I collect old cereal boxes and I have a Kelloggs box and old Oatmeal boxes etc. I love the advertising because advertising changes so fast. What was used when I was a kid and even when my kids were little is no longer being used. so it is collectible now! Companies go under or change management and that means constant changes in advertising. It is fun to collect!
I can't disagree with that. My DIL is a graphic artist and she and my son have lots of old Calumet cans, etc. I just don't have space for collecting that kind of stuff. I have enough trouble finding space for my 11 sewing machines.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

I can't disagree with that. My DIL is a graphic artist and she and my son have lots of old Calumet cans, etc. I just don't have space for collecting that kind of stuff. I have enough trouble finding space for my 11 sewing machines.
My mom was an antique collector and then an antique dealer so I grew up in Antique shops. Collecting is a challenge in our house too but my DH and I love it! My mom does have a barn and an old model T garage we use for storage too. It is a fun thing to go antiqueing and I collect can openers with advertising on them. They don't take up alot of space. I do have a can collection with some old and some newer ones. I have old cocoa cans and coffee cans etc. I just love the look of the art involved and the idea that you aren't going to see them new unless it is a reproduction.

This would be a cute idea for other types of store bought bags that have advertising on them. I will have to think about what would work.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 AM

It appeals to me for the advertising. I collect old advertising and it is a graphic art kind of thing too. I may have to think about this. Maybe another type of bag would be better to use than the dog food but I love the idea. It is kind of a folk art sort of thing. I collect old cereal boxes and I have a Kelloggs box and old Oatmeal boxes etc. I love the advertising because advertising changes so fast. What was used when I was a kid and even when my kids were little is no longer being used. so it is collectible now! Companies go under or change management and that means constant changes in advertising. It is fun to collect![/quote]

Rhonda, Aren't these bags multi layered? Could you take just the top (advertisement) and stitch that to fabric? Do you think that that would stink too?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:00 AM

I know plastic you can put in the freezer to get rid of the odor, wonder if it would work for that too.. I like the bag, a neat idea.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Wash it out with 409. Looks like a challenge from Project Runway..its way cute though.
thata e3xactly what went through my mind.