Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A Wall Hanging to Celebrate our Hobby >

A Wall Hanging to Celebrate our Hobby

A Wall Hanging to Celebrate our Hobby

Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not answering you earlier. We are in the middle of ordering our school library books for next year and all my time lately has been online looking for and ordering library books for the 6 libraries of the school. I am the acting head librarian for all six, so the task has fallen to me to make sure the orders are completed and out on time. It has been a gargantuan task.

Thank all of you for the compliments to my quilting efforts. I really do try hard to do a good job and are very pleased when others appreciate it.

Quiltmaker,
Yes it is difficult getting materials in Beirut, even though I live in the capital city of the country. There is no fabric industry here, so everything is imported from outside and they do not go for 100% cotton much. I get my fabrics the same way as our ancestors - pick it up where you can and reuse worn-out clothes. When I go home to the States, I return with one suitcase full of fabrics, books and notions which I share with my quilting buddies here. They do the same when they travel as well. We are also cultivating some fabric shops and trying to convince them to bring in more cotton fabrics, but so far with little success. It is really a shame that Walmart is cutting back on their fabric departments. I was hoping to pick up material there when I got home.

Now the weather is simply too hot to do any quilting comfortably. We simply melt without airconditioning over here. Hope it is cooler for all of you wherever you are.

Virginia,
The pattern that we used came from the book Needles and Notions: Paper Pieced patterns with a Sewing Room Theme by Jeanette Huff. One of our quilting ladies found it when she was traveling to the US and brought it back for us to try. I do not have the book myself, but you may be able to find it through Amazon.com

Connie
Attached Thumbnails prairie-gothic-lap-quilt-websize.jpg   wildflower-quilt-back-birds-websize.jpg   wildflower-quilt-front-websize.jpg   maxine-quilt-websize.jpg   lady-dragon-unicorn-closeup-websize.jpg  

lady-dragon-unicorn-websize.jpg  
Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 AM

I LOVE it. How creative and cute and so appropriate for the walls of any quilter's sewing room. Really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Feathers
Attached Thumbnails 1-035.jpg  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Connie~ I absolutely love your quilt! How creative!
Good luck with those library books.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. :D
Attached Thumbnails aug-2011-jan-12-1296.jpg   aug-2011-jan-12-1298.jpg   aug-2011-jan-12-1297.jpg  
Old 09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Ty

Connie,
I think your quilt is adorable. Also, sewing flat dowels to the sides seems to be a great idea. Glad it worked for you.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Connie, love that. Congrats on foundation work. I have only tried it once or twice and did'nt like what I did but love yours. Maybe I will give it another try.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 AM

Wow, it's beautiful and I see you included my new best friend the seam ripper. :thumbup:
Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

An awesome tribute and such a wonderful job on the quilt. I so envy your talent! :D
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
lin

That's some really good work Connie! I love this quilt. If you're this good with the fabrics you can gather, I'd love to see what you could do with a huge stash! :) That rotary cutter almost looks real enough to cut you! Really, such good work.

I'm glad you figured out what to do about the wavy edges. I've found that if I use a thinner batting, and use a single binding on smaller wall hangings, they tend to lay against the wall better and not be so wiggly. :)
Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM

It really is wonderful!! The sewing machine reminds me of the one my mother used for years and years.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 AM

How fun!!! Nice work!