Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Washed new quilt and am disappointed >

Washed new quilt and am disappointed

Washed new quilt and am disappointed

Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I was surprised to see on te labels to prewash the Hobbs batting too. It is just one more step to the process. Oh well.
I am so very sorry that this has happened to you.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I saw Prism99's suggestion that you could pick out the quilting and re-quilt with another batting. I would consider doing that too, if the thread and stitch length permit. I have picked out stitches from most of a queen quilt when I didn't like the way the quilter (me) did it. We all really want you to be happy with this quilt.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks again, I am thinking about it. I have an old friend coming to stay for two days tomorrow morning, so won't get anything done then and will think more about what I'll do. It probably helps to get some distance from it, because right now I am just so frustrated this happened.
Hubby doesn't see anything wrong with it, bless him, and thinks I should just gift it as it is. I may take it all out. Stitch length was 3 on my Janome, which is pretty small and not undoable. I took one seam out the other day when I had a small fold in it and it was okay.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 AM

Ditto on taking it apart. It won't take that long, and my mom told me that ripping out threads teaches us patience in future sewing. A little extra time taking it apart will leave you happy to give that gift.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i've never used wool batting, but i do remember blocking wool sweaters after they were washed.

wet the quilt again. not soaking/dripping wet. then block it. you'll need to lay it out on a flat absorbent surface ... like a mattress (with towels under, an plastic under that, to protect the mattress.) gently pat and stretch into shape. stick pins into it all the way around so it will hold that shape while it dries.

if you gift it, make sure to include laundry instructions.
great idea, hope it works.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I looked at the photos yet again. If you can get it blocked, and spray starched, you could probably just machine quilt big X's through the squares and maybe do a zigzag in the outside border. (You could also add zigzags to the sashings, either inside the lines you already quilted or crossing over them.) This would be a lot less work than undoing all the quilting, especially since you already have the binding on.

The key here would be blocking it, which would mean stretching it out and getting it flat allover. The spray starch would help stabilize the top and backing so they don't stretch while you are adding the additional quilting lines.

The zigzag would be straight lines; you just have to stop at each point and turn the quilt. This is still pretty easy to do with a walking foot.

Here's a tutorial on how to block a quilt:
http://www.dreamweavers-quilts.com/q...hort-tutorial/
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks! I just looked at it again and it isn't that bad after a few hours. I guess in comparison to how it was before the wash it did look weird, but in comparison to antique quilts it doesn't look that bad. And the only other quilt I ever made was a wallhanging and batiks, so I didn't wash it after quilting.
I do have spray starch, but haven't used it yet. Does it go on when it's damp or afterwards?
I will get my friend to help me square it tomorrow so we can work on both sides.
Thanks for all the great support-you ladies are the best!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

You can spray starch either way. I would probably spray starch the top while it is still damp, but after you get it blocked. I would spray starch the back after it is dry and you can turn it over.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but on the back side I would probably do layers of spray starch -- a light misting that is allowed to dry, followed by another light misting that is allowed to dry, etc. I think that helps it get absorbed into the fabric.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM

I use the 80/20 cotton and poly batting at Joanns. Before using it I put it in a hot drying for a few minutes. It seems to tighten it up and takes the wrinkles out.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

I've been looking at the pictures some more, and I think some of the distortion I saw at first may be just the way the picture was taken. Maybe your DH is right - it's fine the way it is. At any rate, blocking can't hurt and it might just help a whole lot. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the starch though - won't you need to wash again to get the starch out?