Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: what would you charge a client for this...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I can't believe your client only wants to pay you $60 for a custom made quilt that is quite beautiful. At the pre-discussed $126 she is getting a bargain. I agree with the others in that it is worth at least $200. Do not let this person take if for less than $126. If she balks, then sell it on Etsy or e-bay for $200 because it is definitely worth that. It is lovely.

I totally agree with feline and everyone else. Don't let her have it for only $60.00, you are being robbed at $125.00. Unless people quilt or just plain sew, they have NO idea of the work that goes into making beautiful quilts and wall Hangings. Keep it for yourself. If she doesn't want to pay the agreed upon price, then later comes back and changes her mind, charge her $150. or more, because of the delay, if she questions this, explain that you took away from other items just to get hers done in the time frame you stated, and you lost out on other sales or items. You could easily sell this for $200.00 or more. That was the least price I would have quoted. Beautiful work. If she should complain about the fabric that was her granddad's, which to me looks like the fabric in the hearts only, and makes a big deal, then pay her $5.00 or so and call it done, give her the remainder of the fabric that she gave you to make it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pokergal3 View Post
    Thank you for your replies. Yes we did talked about the prices and I had told her it would be $125 plus cost of fabrics etc. She said fine no problem!!! I may even pay you more than that. I had let her know it was ready for pick up and gave her the costs plus 20 percent discount which came to $126 She said no way only $60. I gave her some links to check out what others are charging for the same size wallhanging but very simple pattern on it. She has not gotten back to me yet.
    Since she stated that "I may even pay you more for it", verbal- go with the pay you more aspect and charge her $200 or more now.

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous and creative. I get so upset with those "no-sewer's" who have no idea of our quality time and talent and want to take advantage of same. And she wants to pay only half of the 'discounted' (what is that?) price? I agree with SEWELEGANT (posterboard). If supplies cost $36.10, then you worked three weeks at less than $10. per week? No way. Don't even have it in view (HIDE IT) when she decides to pick it up until she comes up with NO LESS THAN the $126. I don't care if the fabric belonged to HER grandfather; it's yours until her request is paid for. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    it's beautiful. $200 minimum, and they would be getting a steal.
    I agree! It is beautiful!

Blog Entries

what would you charge a client for this?

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    First of all, it is just beautiful!
    Just read your second post. DO NOT let her pay less than the $126. She's robbing you at that. If she won't pay that, then keep it for yourself.
    All of the answers I have read are very good and the $200.00 is a minimum. I haven't seen this one, so here is an idea; sit down and try to reconstruct about how many hours you spent on it, from start to finish. Then take that times the minimum wage for your area.
    Have the client meet with you to discuss the figures, demonstrate the tedious task of the work you did. We all know as quilters that you spent many hours on this, and that it is very top-notch quality work.
    State the figure you decide on--the $200 isn't out of line at all in my opinion also; even more, depending on what you come up with on the hours spent, min. wage, ect. Then if she doesn't want to pay that, tell her you just can't take any less, and that you can sell it for that amt.
    She would go away laughing if you take $60.00--which is nothing.
    I agree; get a hefty down payment next time. People can really do a number on us!
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

ALOT! it's beautiful.
    Be a girl with a mind, a women with attitude and a lady with class.

Also she is an artist and does freelance works as painting murals, illustrates things, etc.
    Pokergal3

Wow.....are you kidding me?? Ask her what she considers fair price for her time and effort.....I guarantee she charges substantially more than $60 for 3 weeks wrth of work. Unbelievable......she obviously doesn't consider quilting an art (which it certainly is) and doesn't deserve your wall hanging.

Since when does the customer set the price? Would she walk into a store and try that? I am glad you are sticking by your price, and hope you are going to get the $126 PLUS what you spent on materials. It's little enough for that tedious work with suiting fabrics. Those fabrics were never meant to be cut up into small bits like our quilting cottons are. They are tough to work with.

I wouldn't give her anything back that is already sewn into the quilt-- only the excess fabrics. She entered into an agreement with you to use those to make a quilt she would buy, and if she doesn't buy it, it's yours.

I'd set the darned thing on fire before I'd take a mere $60 for it....
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree that it was a verbal agreement. A workman is worthy of his hire. Have you discussed the reason as to why she is now saying $60? I would go into this deeper with her to find out the reason as to why and even if finances is an issue, let the wallhanging stay with you and allow her to make 2 or 3 payments to you until paid in full then she can take with her, just a thought.
    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord,

It is so hard to be fair to yourself when pricing. So many people have not a clue as to what goes into the work we do. I am sorry I can't offer advice on pricing, but think you did an amazing job

An added thought. I have seen these these of things happen to many of my friends. It is best to get an agreement first... I have even seen it where the customer for whatever reason decided they didn't like the end result and tried to get a much lower price or refuse altogether to pay

It's a very beautiful design, and you did a great job! However, since you did not discuss price beforehand, experiences we all have had will point to your not getting a decent price for it. Giving up the better part of three weeks suggests several hundred dollars to start, which would certainly be fair, but be prepared for the client to not appreciate your time commitment with a monetary reward. And use this as a lesson for the next time.

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is beautiful. Unfortunately, people that don't quilt, don't have a clue about what goes into it. Personally, I wouldn't let it go for less then $300. You did a fabulous job. If people knew what goes into quilting, they would be willing to pay alot more. Good luck!!!

Quilt is absolutely beautiful! I would not let it out of my house unless she pays you the agreed-upon price. Why did you even give her a 20% discount?

This doesn't add up. You said she agreed to the $125 plus costs, and now she has had a change of heart. Does she not like it? Does she think it's too expensive? Honestly you did a beautiful job. I would not take the quilt apart!! But I would return the fabric and show her the front door and hopes it does or doesn't hit her in the ass on the way out!

I forgot to tell you your work is just stunning/Keep it untill she pays you. That is real bad. She is a bad girl.
    Last edited by sewingsuz; 11-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Can't help you on pricing but I think you did a gorgeous job.

Blog Entries
    That is so beautiful. Well worth the $200.

If I do something I make a contract. They pay for supplies up front and then I estimate my time etc and put the price on paper. Also state that if price isn't received, I keep the quilt and $$ for supplies. Also have both of us sign it so if they back out, I keep the project. I let them make payments if its needed, but I keep till the price is paid in full..

Beautiful quilt ... horrendous customer!!

You mentioned that you would de-construct the quilt to return the bits of fabric back to the customer if she demanded them. If she does demand them ... remind her that she has not paid for your time in making a pattern and making the quilt - so - quote her your time for deconstructing the quilt and ADD $125 to that cost.

Ask her how she would handle it had a customer said "gee ... I don't like the color I chose and you painted, I'll give you half the money".
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

You should plan to keep the whole thing if she refuses to meet your price; you have too much invested in that quilt to tear it apart now. She won't find anyone to make something that special for anything less than $200! I used to make baby afghans and often tried to sell to supplement my single-parent income; I just quit trying when I realized I couldn't get a decent price for the time I had invested. Seems like a battle you are dealing with your quilting now. Stand your ground; you can surely get a decent price for it elsewhere.

It's a lovely piece of art and I agree that $200 is not unrealistic. Do not give her the quilt unless she at least gives you the $126 originally talked about. I urge everyone to be sure to obtain a sizeable depost before embarking on a commissioned piece and get the prices on paper and have both parties sign it.

She owes you the $125 plus your supply costs. If she doesn't pay you, keep it for advertising and sell your pattern. I would buy one! The quilt is beautiful and she should appreciate your effort.

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful. I think $200 is a very good deal also...Sorry others don't realize the time, energy, expertise, talent that's put into quilts, table runners, mug rugs and everything else. It's stunning!

your quilt is very nice....this is why I do not make things for people. No one understands the time and money it takes to make a quilt - small or large. So I make what I want to make and give to who I want to give.

If I every make something for someone for $$...I will make sure to collect a deposit (a good size) before any work is done.

I agree $200 easy
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast