Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: what would you charge a client for this...

Quote Originally Posted by pokergal3 View Post
    Also she is an artist and does freelance works as painting murals, illustrates things, etc.
    If she is an artist, she should definitely be ashamed of herself. Your quilt is a work of art. She should know how much time and work is involved in producing a work of art. If I were you, I would hang it in a place of honor in my own home. She doesn't deserve this quilt. If she decides she wants to pay you for the quilt, I think $200 is a bargain. You deserve more.

I agree with the board members. You so carefully and respectfully made a special memory quilt from specific fabrics that were represented to you as meaningful by your client. No one can ask for more. You did a beautiful job and deserve to be paid appropriately. Congratulations for standing up for yourself. Keep us posted. We are behind you.

also add a note saying how listing the cost to make the pattern, and that you have included that free. Oneta

Blog Entries
    Paper Princess is right on the button. I would not give in to her, if she refuses to pay what you ask, then keep it. The quilt is worth a lot more and I'm sure the work was worth more than 60 dollars. Stand your ground, tell her to pay up or give up.

sassy granny

Thank you for your replies. Yes we did talked about the prices and I had told her it would be $125 plus cost of fabrics etc. She said fine no problem!!! I may even pay you more than that. I had let her know it was ready for pick up and gave her the costs plus 20 percent discount which came to $126 She said no way only $60. I gave her some links to check out what others are charging for the same size wallhanging but very simple pattern on it. She has not gotten back to me yet.
    What a rip off. I would call her and tell her she has 1 week to come up with the cash or the quilt will go on e-bay for auction. You will get your money plus that way. The quilt is awesome, good job.
    Quilting Mad in Mansfield, Ohio
    Patty

Don't accept anything less than the agreed upon price, and I agree you should sell the pattern

It is true that non-quilters do not understand or appreciate the amount of work that goes into making a quilt.

I would never do commission work, but if I did, my contract would have a big disclaimer stating all work is a one of a kind, hand made, custom design that requires many hours of tedious work and quilting talent to complete. The cost of materials would be collected up front, and the customer could see the design wall display, but any change requests would incur additional charges. Once construction started, customer would agree to accept the quilt as delivered. Failure to pay for and pick up the work by a specified time would result in forfeiture of the finished quilt as well as the advance deposit. And I wouldn't work for cheap. That is why you don't see quilting as a career. We can't really get the money that we deserve for producing this custom product.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Wow, that is so Beautiful. you did good and love the quilting
    a heart truley loved never forgets.

happy quilting
    cindy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    As others have said, "This is a Work of Art". Sorry you are going through this. For an artist to do this to another artist there truly has to be some huge reason that she is acting this way. How well do you know her? Have you known this person long? Were you friends before? Did you ask to do this for her or did she ask you? You said that you have a contract, what makes her think that she can get it for less now? Something is really wrong in Denmark (sorry Denmark).
    Your work is beyond MAG NIF IT CENT. When I showed my husband the picture all he could said was, "WOW. Then he said, "Keep it if she doesn't pay". We all here have said the same thing. You are worth more than this whole thing. Good Luck on the final outcome, please be sure and let all of us know what happens. Hugs to you. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

It is lovely so sorry about your trouble though

I will agree that the quilt is beautiful and worth every nickle you asked. So... I will give you some advise (maybe bad). Tell her she has 3 options
    1. pay the $126 immediately
    2. stall payment and pay interest until she does. (1.5% /mo)
    3. you will give her back a quilt with a $126 rotary cut discount.

I'm sure I would not take it like a farmer and agree to someone else's price especially with a written contract in hand.

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL. I read all the comments and this lady is way out of line! I would definitely stick to the original agreement as the least I would accept - charge her a nuisance fee - lol Please don't give it to her for $60 - that is outrageous. Who does she think she is anyway!?!?!?

Good luck, and be sure to let us all know how this turns out.

That is one gorgeous quilt! There were a lot of hours that went into that beautiful work of art! Don't let this woman get away with this outrageous offer! Stick to your guns, my dear, it's worth every penny and more!

You did a beautiful job on the quilt, and it will easily sell to someone for a good price if you offer it for sale. No way would I cave in and let it go for $60.00. Anybody who quilts, or anybody who appreciates beautiful, nicely made goods can look at it and know it's value. Stand your ground!

I agree whole heartedly with PaperPrincess. It is beautiful. This person does not deserve to own such a work of art if she won't pay the agreed price. Keep it, or gift it!

I had the same thing kind of happen to me. got a request for a quilt then when it was finished they didnt want to pay.... so needless to say I kept it for myself .

wow! This is absolutely beautiful and you are very kind to do all that work for $126. I am sorry the client doesn't see it that way. I hope she comes to understand how hard you worked and you will get your asking price, because it is worth far more than $126!

Blog Entries
    Please let us know how this turns out for you.

I even quilted the background and included a custom made label on the back for the quilt and also dont know if you can it but even had loops for hanging on a rod per client s request.

I can't believe she wouldn't want this, being that it's her grandfather's fabric. I'm sorry this happened to you, the piece shows alot of work !

That is a gorgeous piece of work and to be honest, $200 seems a reasonable asking price. I think that you would do better to advertise it and get the right price for the work you have done. If the lady does not wish to pay for the work then it's her loss. Here are a few links on pricing quilts you may find helpful.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5051349_pric...ade-quilt.html

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/price...ilt-39595.html

http://www.lovetosew.com/pricehandmadecrafts.htm

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4843022_se...de-quilts.html

I hope you have great success in finding a proper buyer for your lovely piece. Best wishes.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Lets look at this another way....the customer is trying to get something for nothing and she thinks this kind quilter will just give in by asking the quilt artist to feel guilty for asking to be compensated for her time, talent, and treasure. Tat is what this is. The customer is trying to take advantage of her. Period.

I would hand the scraps of the tailor fabric over to the customer and move on. Sell that masterpiece to someone who will appreciate it.

In the end, learn from this experience. If one does not have a business mind...do not sew for others.

I would bet that the mural artist gets screwed too but that is not our problem here!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room
    Blog Entries
    Your quilt is beautiful and I really would like to know how this turns out.

Someone I know makes quilts for others and calculates the charge by multiplying $10 times per square inch of the finished quilt. If my calculation is correct it would come to $151.20. For the increased difficulty in using special fabrics and the applique, $200 is a very reasonable price.

Blog Entries
    OK, I just have to dip my oar in again. You said the family has money and that the woman is a mural artist. Well, some (note the SOME) families with money got that way by chiseling prices down on everyone else, but then asking well over the going rate for their own services. She has the mind set that you are her servant and since she comes from a prominent/wealthy family, you'll know you're just a serf and be honored to GIVE your work away. Ask me how I know. Give in to her and you lose respect for yourself. Hang tough. Believe me, she doesn't give her customers any discount, and I'd bet on that!! Good luck to you.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

That is one lovely wall hanging. She should be ashamed of herself for even making an offer of $60.00, especially after you had given her a figure & her response was "ok, but I will probably pay you more than that". It is an insult. Having said that, shame on you IF you accept $60.00. She is obviously "in the dark" concerning how much material, stress & most of all the time & craftsmanship to make anything "handmade". Some people think "handmade" means less than perfect, rough, not up to store quality but those of us who know, are aware, that is definitely NOT the case.
    Please do not sell it for less than what you had previously discussed.
    Dance like no one is watching

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast