Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: what would you charge a client for this...

I'd like to know how your client arrived at $60 as a fair price. The design is wonderful and so is your work.
    Barbara

Stick to your guns. Give her some etsy stores to check out so she gets a better picture of what it costs for something like this. You did a beautiful job and you deserve to be paid.
    Pat

i love the family tree quilt...beautiful.. as said 60.00 is a joke..
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    wonderful quilt

The work i beautiful and so meaningful. did she mean $60.00 in 4 installments ??
    people dont realise the time and effort that goes into anything handmade, they are too used to bulk manufactures. i would say $200.00 if it is personalised.

Some people have a lot of nerve! I guess she doesn't think much of your work. I think that you did an awesome job and i know that you put loads of time into this quilt, you should be paid at least what you agreed on--and deserve more. I hope that this can be resolved amicabally(sp.) and you get your money.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

i also agree with debbie c ...
    ​debra

Put it on esty or ebay before you give it away for that price.

Linda

This is such a sad situation. The end goal here is to get your money. Perhaps you can approach her honestly and ask what happened in her mind from the original discussion about price and now. (Certainly not much time has gone by for her to have forgotten it.) Tell her that you are crushed and must assume that she is disappointed with the result. Her attitude during this discussion will reveal a lot, especially if you remain calm. If you look like you are about to cry, that might even help (and it wouldn't take any acting for me if I were in your shoes). If the discussion reveals that she is short on cash, then give her some options: a payment plan might be in order or offer to contact some of the other relatives to get the money. Tell her that as a last resort, you will consider displaying it for sale in public. Who would want their family's heirloom displayed where the whole community can see it?

Best wishes on this one -- the quilt is beautiful!

Dayle

The wall hanging is lovely, and I do agree with everyone here. I am however very curious how she came up with a $60.00 price to pay. Was there something she did not like about it? What in the world was her reasoning since she orginally agreed to the $125.

That $125 should include the costs that you incurred as well, and why your giving her a discount is beyond me. I am afraid with her reaction, I would give her a detailed cost invoice, and expect her to pay that. But since you did agree on the first amount, I suppose you should stick to that, however, it does not seem she wants to stick to that, so I say invoice her for full price, and get your money.

IF not, I agree with everyone else, put it on Ebay, or where ever and sell it to recoup your costs,

Best of luck.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Even if you have a written contract, the cost of an attorney and/or court fees is usually more than $200. It is a no win situation. How sad that we have so many people and companies that have no intention of keeping their word. I would keep the quilt before I would let this customer have it for $60.00.

It's beautiful and I wouldn't let it go for less than what you quoted and even at that you probably didn't make $.50 an hour. Shame on her for not sticking to her agreement. I'll bet somebody would pay that or more for it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others. If she doesn't want to pay the price, just keep it.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Hang on to it!

$126 is way too low, let alone $60. How outrageous! When I have my quilts quilted, there is a down-payment and a WRITTEN balance receipt. I wouldn't dream of ripping off anyone as badly as this woman is trying to rip you off. Let her go to Walmart (no offense, Walmart, but your things aren't hand-made).

Maybe after she has a chance to check around, she will realize how unreasonable she is being. I am with everyone else, don't let her 'bully' you into that low of a price.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Her grandfather was a tailor...wow seems to me she of all people should realize the time and effort it takes to produce anything made with fabric.. Your work is stunning...
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Let her read all these replies and then have her pony up the $126. if she balks, double the price and tell her you'll hold it for two week and then e-bay it. She'll have two weeks to decide. People talk big when they don't have to shell out the cash first. Do hope she was (notice WAS not IS) not a friend.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

As of now, I did emailed her with several links to show her how much others are charging her. Second we did have a written agreement which I am hanging on to it. I have not yet heard back from her. If it comes right down to her demanding her grandfathers material back, I will ripped out the border patchwork s parts and give it back to her but not the tree nor the hearts. Then I will go get some fabrics and sew the borders back on and sell it. I wanted to tell each one of you a big hearty thank you for your support and comments. After reading all of this, I feel so much better and more stronger to stand by my low price. Trust me it is not going for $60. No way!!!! She is from a family of lot of money. Again thank you!!!
    Pokergal3

Also she is an artist and does freelance works as painting murals, illustrates things, etc.
    Pokergal3

Exactly about going to small claims court and its fees. .
    Pokergal3

Blog Entries
    This woman is dreaming if she thinks this is only worth $60.00. I've heard about things like this happening. A mate of my husband asked for a wall quilt at least 4 foot square. Time and price didn't matter. He gave me a vague idea of what he wanted. I designed the pattern collected all the fabric, made the quilt of which I was very proud.
    I didn't know what to charge so took it to two separate Quilt shops. Both places said at least $500.00 but as he was a friend I charged him $300.00. Think he was a bit taken back but didn't argue. I then spent 3 months chasing him for the money. Never again- will make sure I get at least 50% of cost before I even start.
    As many others said "don't dare give it to her for $60.00. You did a wonderful job. It's beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the rest. It is beautiful and I wouldn't go less than $200.00!!
    Life is great, enjoy each day as if it was your last. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

Blog Entries
    I have read all 8 pages of responses and realized that some people think that if you sew/quilt you are thankful for projects that you don't have to provide material for. Little do they know how many UFO's we have. When I was young I made bridesmaid dresses for several different weddings. When the topic of price was mentioned I usually charged about $25 per dress (this was nearly 30 years ago). It was interesting that some people thought it was a great deal and others couldn't believe it cost so much.

I think that this lady either doesn't like how it turned out or falls into the group that she thinks you should be thankful to have a project that she provided some of the fabric for.

I would proceed as you are with the e-mail and call her and talk with her directly. Ask her specifically why she isn't willing to pay the amount you both agreed to. I would not return it to her until she paid the $125 agreed upon amount. I'd also give her an itemized bill that shows all discounts.

Good luck with this and keep us posted as to how things turn out.

By the way, I think the quilt is stunning and you did an AWESOME job on it.
    Marie M.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't seem right or fair does it? I turned down my niece in making several table toppers for Christmas presents she wanted to give. I couldn't put a price on them knowing she could come back to me saying she can get it cheaper. And also knowing it is possible she may pick them up while I am in the process of working hard at getting them done for her. Years ago I was asked to make a 12" doll wedding dress for a neighbor's little girl. I spent the time, bought the actual wedding dress fabric, lace, notions. She came to pick it up and I asked for $7.00. She said no, I will give you $2.00. Her little girl was standing there waiting for it. What could I do but take the $2.00? Now, I go to the local craft fairs and see them upwards of $25; some with less than ideal sewing. How can she come back and TELL you what your time talents and costs are worth? Perhaps send her a message with a time frame to finalize the agreement she made with you. The memory heart most probably could represent anyone or anything in your own family if she doesn't follow through. The wall hanging is just beautiful! Best of luck!

I've read all of the responses to your original posting and I'm as angry as everyone else. Just thinking of you trying to applique with those thin wools and how lovely this turned out, I think you did a tremendous job. Stick to your guns, and let her know that you will be happy to take payment in instalments, with the quilt turned over once the final balance is paid.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast