Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Will the Real 15 clone please stand up >

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Old 10-24-2021, 10:04 AM

Default Haines 105 DeLuxe Zigzag

I see there's been some similar machines posted, but I think this is a new badge! I got this Haines badged machine a couple months ago, free, from a friend of a friend. After scouring the internet for a manual (as is the tradition), I have found only 2 with the same front accessory layout, one badged Stratavario, the other Remington. It's stamped DZC on the bottom of the plate.

The Remington even has the same colorway and case. The badges on those machines are nicer though- molded and properly screwed on, with the same crown as on the dial here. This is a sticker! My hunch, since I live in Virginia, is that this machine might have been genericized and sold by the Haines department store that used to be in DC. I only got that hint because the building is still called the Haines Building. I haven't been able to verify anything though.

I have replaced the motor (matching pink, RIP). There's a slipped gear in the stitch width mechanism and it won't travel properly. I think you can see in the picture the dial and setting indicator don't match up. I'm currently trying to get enough pieces out that I can correct that and reassemble it. It's very frustrating, because I am having trouble getting at the little screws down in the cast iron case! I don't want to strip or chip the gears brute forcing it.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:40 AM

Spoiler

[7709335]Hello everyone,

I am new to the board and wanted to contribute to this thread with my SHMEN treadle sewing machine.
I am desperately trying to find out more about this machine.
It is definitely a clone 15 and in a very good condition, sews superbly (I think). And I also think she is beautiful!
If anyone can identify the "SHMEN" badge or provide any insight whatsoever as to where she may have been built, I shall be highly grateful.
I have the original Operator's Manual that I can share with anyone interested. The manual states, 'printed in India'. Should I assume possibly built in India too? The machine was bought new in 1968.
I am new to this and I think I have caught the virus.
Greetings to all from far away Athens, Greece.

Attachment 562954

Attachment 562955

This is a great board and I have already learnt a lot.
Thanks.[/QUOQUOT
Old 04-14-2022, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chima View Post
My wife just bought a SHMEN sewing machine in Lagos Nigeria. I've never come across that brand so I did a search in the SHMEN brand and came across your write up. Could you please share your original operators manual with me?
Originally Posted by loucos View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to the board and wanted to contribute to this thread with my SHMEN treadle sewing machine.
I am desperately trying to find out more about this machine.
It is definitely a clone 15 and in a very good condition, sews superbly (I think). And I also think she is beautiful!
If anyone can identify the "SHMEN" badge or provide any insight whatsoever as to where she may have been built, I shall be highly grateful.
I have the original Operator's Manual that I can share with anyone interested. The manual states, 'printed in India'. Should I assume possibly built in India too? The machine was bought new in 1968.
I am new to this and I think I have caught the virus.
Greetings to all from far away Athens, Greece.

This is a great board and I have already learnt a lot.
Thanks.
I think I have this quote fixed as Chima meant it to read. The user Loucos hasn't been on for close to five years.

There is a manual that should work at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf The stitch length regulator is shaped differently and perhaps the position of the lever for the stitch length for straight sewing versus reverse stitching. If it is like the one picture above you will notice that there is a "R" at the bottom and numbers on the top. If the lever/knob is at the bottom like in the picture above it is set to sew in reverse.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-14-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:03 AM

Default Shmen sewing machine

Thanks so much for sharing this manual.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:09 AM

Spoiler

Old 05-30-2022, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by JuliaB View Post
Hi, Lukos, I also have sewing machine Shmen and I'm looking for some information about it. I'll be really appreciate if you share with me the manual......
Welcome to Quilting Board. Loucas has not been on QB for over 5 years.
The manual found at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf should be close. If it has the stitch length regulator like Loucas' then the lever for reverse would be at the bottom rather than like the one in the manual I linked to.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-15-2022, 05:45 AM

I was doing some research on 15 clones. I have a few . One is badged "Everlasting" and is a hand crank. I haven't had it out for a while, but have some pictures of it. I am not sure if it Japanese or Chinese.

p1070189-everlastingresize.jpg

p1070189everlastingbadgecropped.jpg

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-15-2022 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:48 AM
PTM

Default Japanese Machine Argo Sales

Can anyone help me identify this machine for parts? I'm thinking of buying it, but don't know anything about antique machines and would like to know at least how to service it. It only comes with the foot and a bobbin.
Attached Thumbnails argo.jpg   argo2.jpg  
Old 09-29-2023, 08:21 AM

As mentioned above a manual can be found at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf which has oiling points. Sometimes the old oil has hardened and may be stiff.

Some of the parts can be taken off and cleaned and polished. Generally, these machines don't need much in maintenance or service. Parts should be easy to obtain, even bobbin cases. Any low shank straight stitch foot will work. Some feel that the clones are as good or maybe even better than Singer original 15 machines. Some have had trouble with some of the newer 15 class bobbins working on original Singer 15 class machines, because the notch to fit on the bobbin winder isn't large enough. However, I haven't heard of that problem with the clones. I have a Sidewinder, so don't worry about not being able to wind a bobbin.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:08 AM
PTM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
As mentioned above a manual can be found at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf which has oiling points. Sometimes the old oil has hardened and may be stiff.

Some of the parts can be taken off and cleaned and polished. Generally, these machines don't need much in maintenance or service. Parts should be easy to obtain, even bobbin cases. Any low shank straight stitch foot will work. Some feel that the clones are as good or maybe even better than Singer original 15 machines. Some have had trouble with some of the newer 15 class bobbins working on original Singer 15 class machines, because the notch to fit on the bobbin winder isn't large enough. However, I haven't heard of that problem with the clones. I have a Sidewinder, so don't worry about not being able to wind a bobbin.
thank you ! I appreciate the quick response!