Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
WIP-students' end of year gifts... with an explanation >

WIP-students' end of year gifts... with an explanation

WIP-students' end of year gifts... with an explanation

Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Oh gosh--there are many amazing teachers in my building. I'm not special... I work kids hard and have a reputation for being strict and for having high expectations. :wink:

I'm in NY and the students' last day is June 24; the teachers have to be here all day the 25th, THEN we're done.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:38 AM

The students you have taught have been given lessons for life. They will use the "cake recipe" lesson with their children and you will live on in them. You are unique and a blessing to "your" kids. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:44 AM

Karla -

It sounds like you are one of the truly great teachers. I had a few and I remember them (and their lessons). I know your students will remember you and appreciate your lessons long after they leave your classroom too.

Darren
Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 AM

Karla,
I so admire what you are doing....Obviously you are a good teacher, teaching things that will be of real value in thier futures. My DDIL is a grade school teacher as was my DS. He recently started working for the Army. He is in the National Guard and now takes care of the daily business at the armory. He was such a good teacher but had to go with the money and insurance etc.
I know there are people in every profession just putting in time....but the teachers are the ones we entrust with our precious children . Hooray for teachers who see how important they are even though they seem so undervalued on payday. :-(
Three cheers for you ........we appreciate what you do for our kids! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ditter
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Pam

What a great teacher and a beautiful teaching opportunity.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

What a great idea!!! :D:D:D
Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 AM

Here's the progress! I need to add the white on black strips this week--they're all cut! I picked out fabric for the backs!

I have not purchased one inch for this project! Even as much as I LOVE to buy fabric-this is good news! :lol:
I'm sticking to traditional gender likes because it really is what each gender likes. :lol: There's another story we do called "The Worry Stone" so that makes the boys' fabric choice even more special. There's a fabulous lesson in that book, too. The basic idea is to find a stone that fits in one's hand--with a smooth place for rubbing a thumb. I tell them there is no magic here, and as a Christian, if I'm having troubles, I pray (public school--but that's okay to say), then I ask them how rubbing a stone helps with worries and they come up with--it's a tension release-a place for one's anxious thoughts to work--and be relieved--as the stone is rubbed. I offer a basket of those inexpensive smooth stones often sold in craft shops, and each child can keep one and keep it in his/her desk to use as needed. They have to try them all out before they find the one that fits their hand pefectly. :wink: I love it when they search for one on their own though--it means more.

Okay--off to school....

some of the blocks, so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69918[/ATTACH]

backs: stones for the boys, daisies for the girls
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69919[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69913.jpe   attachment-69914.jpe