Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Wrap your brain around this... >

Wrap your brain around this...

Wrap your brain around this...

Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
How about a simple 4 patch in between these tractor blocks? That would make it easier to use a directional print. Maybe use one of the tractor prints with something more solid.
I am so happy you saw what I obviously was not able to explain. A four patch was one of the types of blocks I wondered about. Right now I am still in the "what to do stage," but ideas are coming. Thanks for this one.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I have had this happen a few times with panels. The first time it happened I wound up using the small quilt as a dog blanket.

After that, I used a DARK-colored 0.5"-1" frame around each block and trimmed each block to the same size as the alternate block. I think a black would be good for your 'frames'. The dark color will help disguise the slight variances in width.

This prevents trying to 'make-it-fit'. (Don't you wish quitl blocks had a 'make-it-fit' button!!)
I like the idea of the dark frames around the blocks--matching the tractor tires maybe? The next biggest problem is that the clerk obviously was just cutting yardage and cut right in the middle of some blocks. There might have been a larger center section to work with if she had not cut the cloth that way. I say "she" when it could easily have been a male clerk these days.

BTW, some may wonder why I am answering these all at once. My Apple died on me twice or three times today and now I am trying to download a new operating system. I get to use DH's computer while that is happening. It may be days before all that mess is finished.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Diane007 View Post
nice

I have also use the above fabric for a grandson.
I added 5 other John Deer prints to go with it

He loved it
This gives me hope! Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

It looks like there may not be much of that yellow 'border/sashing' around each tractor after it's sewn together -
When I split out the blocks there was only enough of the yellow 'border/sashing' to make a seam. I figure it will all seam out and there is no other pieces of cloth like that. It would have been nice if there had been a piece of that cloth to make blocks like that. Every print she gave me has tractors of one size or another. I have not seen these prints in a while, so chicken wire or others may not be available now. Anyway, I have to use what she gave me.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM

I agree with Pink lady. just use the tractor not the yellow trim. I have a GGS who loves tractors.. You could also use the small all over tractor print between these. or as she suggests somethig else farm related.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:47 AM

I love the layout you photographed. I would go with that and back it with one or more of the other fabrics. You are the
designer and do not have to use all of the coordinating fabrics. You might want to make a second quilt with the others.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Any time you are dealing with primary colors, it's easy to add other primary colors in solids or prints for accent and interest.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Why do the blocks need to be square? I would just make them as they are... Not sure I would have used a flower print to border tractor blocks for a boy. That's my only suggestion. Otherwise I think you have a quilt any little boy would love.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM

I agree with other post "to not use the yellow around the block, I think you would like it better.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 AM

I get so FRUSTRATED with panels/block prints....seems they are never square. Adding a small border around the blocks is a good solution. A dark solid green would look great, IMHO.

Here' the John Deere quilt I made my dear GS:
Attached Thumbnails quilt-stuff-042.jpg  

Last edited by quiltingnonie; 10-27-2012 at 09:01 AM.