Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I seriously screwed up! :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-seriously-screwed-up-t170269.html)

momto4 11-29-2011 09:05 AM

I seriously screwed up! :(

I was doing a pattern where I needed to sew together jelly roll strips and with my lack of sleep I forgot to take out the pieces for the borders and in between the blocks. I instead sewed ALL of the strips together. :( This is going to take me FOREVER!! I was so happy when I sewed the last set together and about 30 seconds later had an OMG what did I do moment. I was adjusting to take it from a twin to king as well so I need to rip the stitches out of about 40 sets of strips. I know it was from the lack of sleep but this is the biggest mistake I have made so far in my quilting "career" Oh man!!! :*(

JenniePenny 11-29-2011 09:11 AM

Sorry about the extra work!

crafty pat 11-29-2011 09:16 AM

So sorry for all your hard work. I know how you feel I do things like that a lot lately.

charity-crafter 11-29-2011 09:21 AM

I'd be tempted to get some more jelly roll strips and make a second quilt with those 40 sets of strips. But I make a lot of charity quilts so it would go to good either way.

Sorry to hear you've had problems. It's such a hassle to have to rip out stitches.

fabrichore 11-29-2011 09:28 AM

If I lived closer I would come over and help....been there and done that many times for the same reason...sorry...

CarrieC 11-29-2011 09:33 AM

OUCH - that one hurts. I'm sorry you had this happen. I know I've done UH-OH things when I'm tired too. Hope the rip out goes fast and with no hassles.

luvspaper 11-29-2011 09:38 AM

This is when I would just rework the pattern rather than undoing the sewing! If I tried to tear it out, I would never finish it!

Kas 11-29-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 4732769)
I'd be tempted to get some more jelly roll strips and make a second quilt with those 40 sets of strips. But I make a lot of charity quilts so it would go to good either way.

Sorry to hear you've had problems. It's such a hassle to have to rip out stitches.

Ditto! There is no way I would rip that much. My time is worth too much. Or, you could use the ones you were going to rip and make a different pattern border instead. Like large piano keys or something like that. Get creative, not friendly with your ripper!

eastermarie 11-29-2011 09:53 AM

Do you have another fabric in your stash you can use to make the border? Or are you close enough to a quilt shop to pick up a border fabric? Any chance you have extra backing fabric you can use as a border? I wouldn't do all that ripping out. Is the quilt large enough not to need a border?

crafterrn1 11-29-2011 09:56 AM

I agree find a creative way to fix the mistake. You never know if it happens for a reason. Rip the segments apart first then break it down or do a rail fence or piano key border with a breaking border of a solid fabric about 2 inches wide. Good luck!