Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you wash your quilts in hot water (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-wash-your-quilts-hot-water-t246562.html)

Misty's Mom 05-10-2014 04:15 AM

Do you wash your quilts in hot water

Do y'all wash your quilts in hot water after they're completed to make sure they play nice in case the recipient has a brain dump and puts them in hot water? I always use warm water, but if there's a possibility it'll end up in hot water, should I use hot water too?

Annie68 05-10-2014 04:36 AM

I don't use hot water, and I wouldn't. Make a label saying warm or cool water only and then whatever happens it really isn't your worry.
:)

Deb watkins 05-10-2014 04:38 AM

I wash my fabrics, warm water and dryer.....then when I give my quilt, I ask that they be washed in cool water and either line dry or tumble on low. I haven't heard of any problems with colors running.

Homespun 05-10-2014 05:49 AM

I never wash anything with hot water! Especially not quilts.

ManiacQuilter2 05-10-2014 05:52 AM

I would print out washing instructions and included them with the quilt. I would NEVER wash a silk blouse in hot water and I treat my quilts like they were made from silk. I don't use abrasive laundry soap either. I want one of my quilts to be seen on the Antique Roadshow 2152 long after I am dead and buried!!! If the people you give the gift of a quilt don't treat it right, it is their lost, not yours.

tessagin 05-10-2014 06:00 AM

I pre wash all my fabric before I use it. After I'm done, I wash in warm or cold and short cycle. Throw into dryer at intervals. The dryer is a low temp.

bearisgray 05-10-2014 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6711155)
I pre wash all my fabric before I use it. After I'm done, I wash in warm or cold and short cycle. Throw into dryer at intervals. The dryer is a low temp.

Now I soak all new fabrics in hot water (and dry them, of course) before cutting them. I know if my fabrics " play nicely together" before they are cut.

bearisgray 05-10-2014 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6711155)

Now I soak all new fabrics in hot water (and dry them, of course) before cutting them. I know if my fabrics " play nicely together" before they are even cut.

But to answer your question: I wash a finished quilt in cool to warm water on a gentle cycle with a mild detergent, and dry gently.

dunster 05-10-2014 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 6711033)
I wash my fabrics, warm water and dryer.....then when I give my quilt, I ask that they be washed in cool water and either line dry or tumble on low. I haven't heard of any problems with colors running.

Line drying could result in broken threads from the weight of the wet quilt. Drying flat is a better option, or tumble drying on low heat.

Barb in Louisiana 05-10-2014 06:17 AM

Was it Forest Gump who said....You can't stop stupid? Even if a quilt I had was severely dirty or think kids...throw up or something like that on it, I would still wash in warm water after having sprayed the areas that are dirty with 409 or some other really good cleanser/disinfectant. I use Odoban a lot as my final rinse softener. It is both a disinfectant and the original Eucalyptus scent smells good. My washer has a setting for pre-wash and 2nd rinse. If it is dirty enough that I need a pre-wash, then I add a capful of Odoban to the first wash.

I am going to start labeling mine as warm/cold wash, dryer on low. Do not hang while wet. This board makes you think, doesn't it?