Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing Rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-rulers-t313223.html)

SuzzyQ 11-23-2020 07:56 AM

Storing Rulers

What is the best way to store your rulers? I have the smaller ones - 6" or less figured out but I have triangles, wedge and large squares as well as 24" ones. On a pegboard, in pockets behind a door, in bins?

Quiltwoman44 11-23-2020 08:04 AM

I have a wooden holder that sits on one corner of my cutting table. has slots along it for rulers to stand in. i put my larger square rulers mostly in that one. then i have another one hanging on the wall. has slanted slots for rulers. then i have a peg board for other shapes on the end wall by my sewing table. Many ways can work for you. I have pocket hanger on closet door and room door for fusibles, etc. In closet one i put starch, basting sprays , etc. Good luck.

Julienm1 11-23-2020 08:31 AM

Yep, I'm a slot girl, too, for the rulers I use the most sitting on my cutting table.

Years ago I bought 2 rings about 6" diameter that snap open where I hang my long, odd shaped rulers. One ring goes over the rod in the closet ,(I sew in a bedroom) and the other will snap open and I insert the odd rulers.

I have a pretty hat box, no lid, where I have other special rulers, Dresden Path, double wedding ring and the patterns and books for those rulers. A while ago MSQC had a great sale on a bundle of templates. These go in the hat box too but they are in a zip lock bag.

QuiltE 11-23-2020 09:07 AM

Thinking of what you have shared about your new setting, what about an upright file holder, sitting on your shelving in the closet?

On the corner of the cutting table, I have an upright file holder/bin that I put all larger rulers into. It's only about 4" or 5" thick. Then in front of it, I have a smaller letter holder with a couple of dividers that I stand the smaller ones into. My large 16-1/2" and 24" squares just slide on the floor, into a crack between the cutting table and wall.

Sewsation 11-23-2020 09:11 AM

Storing Rulers

3 Attachment(s)
I have a slot gadget, but I only bring it out occasionally, like when working in another room. I store my rulers hung on screws on the sides of my sewing cabinet. I had to drill a hole in one of the metal ones. A couple are hung two and three deep. I have a few smaller ones hung on the inner walls of the cabinet, too. One super-long one is hung higher on the wall.

Rhonda K 11-23-2020 09:12 AM

I have heavy project holders with slide zippers. They are hole punched and will fit in a notebook. Specialty rulers are in one of these and then stored in a metal magazine holder.

The long cutting ruler stays on the table. The 12 inch rulers are in a plastic bin on the desk.

QuiltE 11-23-2020 10:05 AM

Another storage method I have seen ....... shower hooks/rings through the hole of the ruler, with the hooks hanging a clothes rod. Or could be hooked over a clothes hanger.

Though .......... Too fiddly for me!!!

Onebyone 11-23-2020 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a swivel display rack like the quilt shops use. I can see all my rulers at once but the one I want is always at the back of others. LOL Always a compromise.

FoxyLady 11-23-2020 11:18 AM

I am currently using Command strips with a hook -- the large size. I hang my mats, my strip cutting templates, other rulers and templates on the wall behind my door. That way they are out of sight but easily accessible when I need them.

pocoellie 11-23-2020 12:19 PM

Pegboard for me, a slotted ruler holder would just get covered on my cutting table. LOL