Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Is it all or none with "watching" topics >

Is it all or none with "watching" topics

Is it all or none with "watching" topics

Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Default Is it all or none with "watching" topics

The way I understand it, in order to get notifications of new posts on a thread that we either started or made a post on, we make a change in the Settings page. So is there any way that we can get notifications on some posts but not on every post that we comment on? In the old board we could elect to "watch" or "unwatch" a thread--is that possible on the new board or is it all or none? I hope that this question makes sense.

Also, I am still lost with Bookmarking. I have read the steps and tried to follow the steps but am still either not understanding how it all works with bookmarking or something is not working for me. When I follow the steps and get to the point where I click on "Folders", am I supposed to be getting a choice of either "Bookmarks" or "Subscriptions"? Because I'm not. If you don't have the patience to be kind about my problem, please don't address this question. I'm really at the end of my rope with this issue. I have been just taking pictures of threads that I want to bookmark because of not understanding this. Everytime I try to figure it out I end up in tears. I have a lot of worries right now and would just like for this to not be one of my troubles.

Thank you,
Bambi
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi View Post
The way I understand it, in order to get notifications of new posts on a thread that we either started or made a post on, we make a change in the Settings page. So is there any way that we can get notifications on some posts but not on every post that we comment on? In the old board we could elect to "watch" or "unwatch" a thread--is that possible on the new board or is it all or none? I hope that this question makes sense.

Also, I am still lost with Bookmarking. I have read the steps and tried to follow the steps but am still either not understanding how it all works with bookmarking or something is not working for me. When I follow the steps and get to the point where I click on "Folders", am I supposed to be getting a choice of either "Bookmarks" or "Subscriptions"? Because I'm not. If you don't have the patience to be kind about my problem, please don't address this question. I'm really at the end of my rope with this issue. I have been just taking pictures of threads that I want to bookmark because of not understanding this. Everytime I try to figure it out I end up in tears. I have a lot of worries right now and would just like for this to not be one of my troubles. Thank you, Bambi
Hi there, I feel your pain. I am still struggling with ths so thought I would try and help with your first question. Let me know if it helps. You want to know how to watch a topic without commenting on it. Here is what I do. Say you are reading a topic so if you look up just about the top posting, it says 'thread tools' 'search thread' and 'display'. Click on Thread tools and I think the bottom choice is 'subscribe to this thread'. Click on that and that should do it. The page refreshes and you should be subscribed and get notifications in your email if you have chosen that option. Let us know if it worked. :-) I can't help with your 2nd problem. Hopefully, someone else can. :-)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

Bambi
I have my settings on no notifications. If I want to get notifications for a thread I go to Thread Tools above the first post. I Click on it and choose Subscribe to this Thread. Then I can choose what type of notification I want, I choose email. If I decide I don't want notifications for a thread any longer, I go to Thread Tools and choose Unsubscribe to this Thread. It works well for me, because I only get the notifications I want instead of tons and tons of emails.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

Also, I am still lost with Bookmarking. I have read the steps and tried to follow the steps but am still either not understanding how it all works with bookmarking or something is not working for me. When I follow the steps and get to the point where I click on "Folders", am I supposed to be getting a choice of either "Bookmarks" or "Subscriptions"? Because I'm not. If you don't have the patience to be kind about my problem, please don't address this question. I'm really at the end of my rope with this issue. I have been just taking pictures of threads that I want to bookmark because of not understanding this. Everytime I try to figure it out I end up in tears. I have a lot of worries right now and would just like for this to not be one of my troubles.

Thank you,
Bambi
I think I understand...If not, just ignore.
To Bookmark:
Did you click on the little triangle by the word Folder? When you click on that little triangle it should give you the choice of Bookmarks. It is just like subscribing to a thread, except you choose the folder/bookmark choice instead of the subscribe to this thread choice.

If you are looking for your bookmarks. Go to the Settings tab. Then on the left hand side of the page(scroll down a little) you will see My Subscriptions and underneath it you should have Bookmarks and Subscriptions.

Last edited by Sadiemae; 11-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 PM

I hope this helps for your bookmarking...

My daughter figured it out in 3 seconds! (crazy,huh? it's those younger ones for sure!) I will try to explain it....

Go to your bookmarks, to the far right of each thread there is a box - click on it, and this will put a check inside of it.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "selected threads" ( I would think you can do multiple threads at one time if the ones selected are all going into the same folder...ie.. "patterns" or "bindings", or whatever your folders are labelled)

A box will appear....click on "move to folder", then click on "Go"

Folder Name and Subscriptions will appear...click on Subscriptions...all of your labelled folders will appear...click on the folder you want your thread/threads to be moved

Then lastly, click on "move items"

It really is quite simple once you know how to do it. And I think the under 35 crowd can navigate computers and websites very easily because they grew up with computers. Unless you work on a computer, it takes the rest of us longer to figure things out.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I think I understand...If not, just ignore.
To Bookmark:
Did you click on the little triangle by the word Folder? When you click on that little triangle it should give you the choice of Bookmarks. It is just like subscribing to a thread, except you choose the folder/bookmark choice instead of the subscribe to this thread choice.

If you are looking for your bookmarks. Go to the Settings tab. Then on the left hand side of the page(scroll down a little) you will see My Subscriptions and underneath it you should have Bookmarks and Subscriptions.
When I click on the Folders triangle I only get Subscriptions, nothing about Bookmarks. This is where I get lost. From what I have read, I should be able to choose between Subscriptions or Bookmark.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Ok, thanks to the explanations, I understand how to subscribe or "watch" individual threads.

Denise, I will try to work through the steps you gave tomorrow. I think that by evening I'm too tired for most things to make sense. I am very much a visual learner--I need to sit down with someone showing me the steps. I'm not usually so needy but right now I seem to be. I bet if my daughter was here instead up in Oklahome with her family she could show me. Can I borrow yours? (LOL)
Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 AM

Thank you,
Bambi
Re: the watched topic part of your question, this is what I do. After typing my comment, instead of clicking on Post Quick Reply, I click on Go Advanced and scroll to the bottom of the page where it says Subscriptions. There is a box there that you can uncheck if you don't want notifications from that thread. Then click on Submit Reply. Hope this helps!