Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Increasing Postings >

Increasing Postings

Increasing Postings

Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 AM

Default Increasing Postings

I'd like to see an increase in postings on the QB. It seems that the majority of posting is on the Main Forum with 20 or more pages. It's a little long to sort through. Maybe it'd help if the forum were divided up a little.
I'd like to see a forum for Long Arm Quilting. And another forum on Art Quilting. There's been a lot on scrap quilting, maybe that could be divided into it's own forum.

Sometimes it's a little intimidating to express oneself not knowing what kind of response you'll get. Maybe I'll ask a question and get a response that basically says, "You're part of the problem" I think that is disrespectful and discouraging, not encouraging. Or a response that is degrading, demeaning, or domineering makes this not a safe place to express oneself. So I'd like to site from the QB rules, "We expect and welcome contributions that stimulate and add to our creative atmosphere. While encouraging all discussions, we expect all participants to treat each other with respect and courtesy."

So what stimulates discussion?

I'll start.
Patience, sometimes a person needs to work out what they want to say and needs a little encouraging help.
Humility, "pride goeth before the fall" don't know how many times I've heard that saying. Being around proud, pious people is not fun, because I'll never be good enough, I'll always fall short.

What else?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 AM

My observation on what stimulates conversation is when someone is asking questions... How to questions. Questions about what should I include design wise for my new studio/sewing room. Requests for opinions...

I like the idea of a longarm section. It would be a great way to share techniques, trouble shooting problems, etc.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

there are separate categories for scrap quilting, pictures, art quilts, long armer's, I know many of us click on the home link, then the main & spend our time there---without looking further---there really are many different places to (visit) beyond the main page. sometimes when we post something on the main page the administrators will 'catch it' and move it to a more appropriate page- the new posts always go to the *what's new* page at first...then may move to other areas- it takes a little time to *explore* but you can (lessen) your searching time by looking for the categories you are interested in instead of scrolling through the main page. everyone should feel comfortable asking questions here * related to quilting/sewing*
Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

I like the variety of topics that turn up in main because I then read about something I would never even have thought of or knew was available.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Where are the scrap and long arm ones?
When I go under home I do not see them.

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
there are separate categories for scrap quilting, pictures, art quilts, long armer's, I know many of us click on the home link, then the main & spend our time there---without looking further---there really are many different places to (visit) beyond the main page. sometimes when we post something on the main page the administrators will 'catch it' and move it to a more appropriate page- the new posts always go to the *what's new* page at first...then may move to other areas- it takes a little time to *explore* but you can (lessen) your searching time by looking for the categories you are interested in instead of scrolling through the main page. everyone should feel comfortable asking questions here * related to quilting/sewing*
Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator

there aren't any plans to add new sections (forums) or sub-sections (sub-forums) at this time.
any changes to the current organization will require a great deal of thought and planning.
the "thing" is that we could never hope to have all the sub-divisions it would take to please everybody.
thus the question becomes if/how to re-organize in such a way as to disappoint the fewest special interest groups.

pass the exedrin, please. LOL

as to an increase in postings ... yep ... for sure ... would be faaaaaaaaaaaabulous.
but that's up to all of us to make happen.
i don't think re-organization would have any effect in that regard.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I definitely agree. About 1 hr/d is all I want to spend on QB, so I definitely want to navigate to the forums in which I have interest.

Since you mentioned separate categories for scrap quilting, pictures, art quilts, long armer's, I was encouraged. However, when I went to look for them I couldn't find scrap quilting, art quilts, long armers. Where are they located?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
there aren't any plans to add new sections (forums) or sub-sections (sub-forums) at this time.
any changes to the current organization will require a great deal of thought and planning.
the "thing" is that we could never hope to have all the sub-divisions it would take to please everybody.
thus the question becomes if/how to re-organize in such a way as to disappoint the fewest special interest groups.
The goal of organization, is to make retrieval and navigation easier. We've all said "I know that's here somewhere, but in all this mess, I can't find anything." So we need to get things back in their home/assigned place and not have multiple places for the same thing.
Since there is no plan to add forums or subforums, maybe a start would be to clean up what is there now. Since the Main Forum has by far the most Threads, I'd start there. Subforums "QuiltingBoard Challenges and Contests" and "For Vintage and Antique Machine Enthusiats" are Forums on the main menu page. So the duplication of assigned place could be eliminated on the Main Forum page, without eliminating any access to these forums.

Second, under Title/Thread Starter, Sticky's "Quilter's Dictionary and Acronyms....a consolidation of previous posts", "General Quilting Board Community Rules", and "Contact Information and Procedures" could be and may already be on the QB Helps forum. Again this is duplicate assigned places.

Third, all Subforums and Sticky's can be listed on page 1 and not repeated on every following page. Again this is duplicate postings.

Fourth, there are threads on the Main Forum that have Forums specific to that topic, such as: Sales notices, chit chat, organizing sewing space. Because Main and Pictures get the most activity, when I want the most people to read a thread, I'm tempted to put it on Main and/or Pictures (and I can always add a picture to make it fit in Pictures even though the topic might really be organization). But allowing inerrant threads to be on these 2 catagories defeats the purpose of organization and confusses people as to what should be on Main. So I think some clearer definitions of Main might be helpful and definitely, enforcing the Forums by moving threads to the appropriate forums is needed. When QB members get the message this problem should decrease.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:36 PM

Now that I have adjusted to the new format, I am very pleased with the QB as it is. Having said that, if the decisions are made to make changes, I'll adjust again, no doubt!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a problem with the posts. I check each forum and just see if there is anything different. Sometimes I bookmark for reading later. Kills a lot of time at the Drs. ofc. I do want to apologize to any one on the board if I have offended you. If I can't say something nice, I just don't comment. We may not know the whole story. If a member posts something you don't like just be glad you are not in their shoes.