Malicious web threat

Malicious web threat

Old 11-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I get this all the time....
Old 11-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mzzzquilts View Post
What Norton product do you have?
As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I have the Kapersky virus. I have never had Norton. I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with viruses. Lately, I have had so much trouble with this notice that keeps coming up saying: (Critcal) you need to update your security you are missing the free tool for protecting your computer. I really don't know what they are referring to. It might be a virus, that's why I'm not clicking on it. Hope we both get our problems resolved soon. Lucy
Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
I get this all the time....
Hi, what exactly do you get all the time? Is it the problem I have regarding the message: Critical, you need to update your security, you are missing the free tool for protecting your computer? If not, what? Thanks, Lucy
Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I have the Kapersky virus. I have never had Norton. I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with viruses. Lately, I have had so much trouble with this notice that keeps coming up saying: (Critcal) you need to update your security you are missing the free tool for protecting your computer. I really don't know what they are referring to. It might be a virus, that's why I'm not clicking on it. Hope we both get our problems resolved soon. Lucy
My question was to the person who started the thread, who said she has Norton.

The message you are getting (Critical)"free tool" is "scareware" and it will put rogue security on your computer if you click on it.

Hmm for some reason, I can't get link to post...I'll try to post in another entry.

Last edited by mzzzquilts; 11-23-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...rus-rogue.aspx

Ok, there is the link.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
Carolyn - So if it does not say QB... it is a spam or something taking you to a virus loader then how do I delete that? Thanks, I'm getting tired of that message. I appreciate your help,
You dont delete a link a page, just dont follow the link. go to another page on QB or refresh to get the ad to change. QB does not have popups for messages and such. If you get it, it is spam.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
I have not received this web virus, however, everyday when I login to the QB, my "Kapersky" virus protection comes on. It always tells me that it is blocking a malicious URL. It does not stay on long enough for me to read it in its entirety. When it shows again, I attempt to finish reading it where I left off. I was told a few months ago by "Kapersky" that someone is trying to hack into my computer and for another fee, besides the one I pay them annually, they will be able to take care of it. I cannot afford to do this and why should I pay for this when I have the protection from them already. Needless to say, my computer has been acting up a lot lately. Several days ago, I tried to login and when I did, it bought me to a page that said that I did not have the tools to view private messages. I was hesitant to follow the directions on this page because I did not know if this was legit or not. Also, every time I go into the QB and the first page comes up. There is always a large white mailing envelope on the screen that says "Urgent Messages". When I click on the envelope I am directed to the same screen about not having the tools to view private messages. I have reported this to Patrice and also to Contact and Information Procedures in detail. I am waiting to hear something. Incidentally, I just got my laptop out of the shop about a month ago. It had viruses and they cleaned it up. I was told by the guy at Best Buy that when the computer leaves their shop it is cleaned up. However, when you get it home and connect to your network, it just gets infected with viruses again. Its a vicious cycle. Sometimes I just feel like giving up the computer, its such a nuciance. I know this is misspelled but I don't have time to check the spelling. Good luck with your problem. Lucy
I get the same message from Kapersky EVERY time I log onto the quilting board. It has to be something the quilting board software is doing. This is the only site where I get it. I have the highest level of protection and it is updated.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Microsoft Defender should be turned on if you are using Microsoft IE (Internet Explorer) It is free. Using Google Chrome (which is a free browser) instead of IE will give you less hacks and malware.

You can use AVG free to protect either. If AVG is not finding your issue you can use "house-call" at TrendMicro. It takes a while to find the free version, and it takes a while to load the first time you install it, but it will find trojans and other malware that AVG or Norton might not find. As far as McAfee -- I have found it to be a big system hog and found it actually is so proprietary that I could barely use my PC when it was loaded.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM

I hava a Mac, but have Windows XP installed in addition to Safari, Mac's product. I have to have an anti-virus for each of these operating systems. For Windows XP I use Security Essentials, which is free, and it has found viruses. I have had it for years. For the Mac, Safari I use Sophos. They are both very efficient. I get Kim Komando's newsletters and am always seeing tips for security, including how to check that your on WiFi is protected. Through her newsletter is where I downloaded the free Sophos. I retired from an IT shop, and co-workers suggested Security Essentials for Windows.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 AM

I have avast!, so I ignore the pop-ups you're talking about. However, I WOULD like to erase it - keep it from popping up. How do I do that, other than taking it to my tech guy?