Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Malicious web threat >

Malicious web threat

Malicious web threat

Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
I have avast!, so I ignore the pop-ups you're talking about. However, I WOULD like to erase it - keep it from popping up. How do I do that, other than taking it to my tech guy?
There are many different systems connecting when you connect to anything via the internet. For example when you connect to the quilting board, you have your system, the server where the quilting board lives and the servers where all the ads that are the page live. Your anti-virus software only protects your computer not the others. What they do is stop things from coming into your computer and doing stuff (that is what a virus does) What they can not do is stop what the other systems are doing. You can not stop the ads from showing up nor can you stop what they show.

Now the quilting board (if their service allows) may be able to go to an ad free site, however generally that "benefit" is paid for by the community. Any free service, like the quilting board, is paid for by the ads. just like commercials on television. Using the same analogy, if you want ad free you will end up with something like paid channels. Also, the service that hosts (provides the physical space for the software) may not have the ability to do an ad free. Depends on how they set up their software.

The best defense is a decent anti virus software, being aware that "bad" guys exploit all things online, and being cautious what you click on. Remember the safest car on the road is still dangerous if you dont drive safely. Always check the URL address of where you are going to ensure it is the right place. And be aware how your anti-virus tells you something is wrong, so that those "your machine is infected" pop up doesnt trick you into clicking it.

Lastly, Some browsers provide a "turn off pop ups" option. Each browser is different but somewhere is an "options" or "customize" button you can use to find the "turn off pop ups".
Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 PM

I DO have 'turn off pop-ups turned on. That's why I'm mystified about this!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:14 PM

i use trend micro and its pretty good. havent had any problems since i got and have had now for 2 years.