Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
New format, good or bad?  What do others think? >

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I still miss "Unread Topics". I am not being negative, just Honest!
Me, too, plus the ease of dealing with bookmarks and 'My Pages'. Also I liked pictures as part of the post. It may be my older computer, but many of the pictures will not open for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Administrator

1. There is no caste system. User titles are based post counts in sections that relate to quilting. It's our way of showing appreciation to those members who contribute actively to our celebration of quilting.
2. Members can customize their views and sorts by changing their Settings (upper right of every page).
3. Members who rely on the digests to decide what to read will always be a "day late and a dollar short". Don't let a computer pick your reading for you. ;-)
4. "Recent Topics", "What's New", and/or going straight to each forum (aka section) will keep you caught up on the newest goodies. If you experiment with those, you will soon not miss the old "Unread Topics".
5. Subscriptions (which replaced Bookmarks) are easy to use and can be organized in ways the old bookmarks could not. Consult the helpful threads posted here by members.
6. We can use the Custom Pages feature in our blogs to replace My Pages.
7. "The Old Board" - still organized as we remember it - is under the Home tab. Everything else is new and additional. Nobody is going to know or be offended if those extras are of no interest to you. If you prefer to "Stay Home" [pun intended] then that's what you should do. Just put on your fuzzy slippers, pour a favorite beverage, and snuggle up.

is it easy to adapt to such radical changes? not for most of us
can we make the adjustment easier for ourselves? yes. we just have to approach it with an open mind and a sense of adventure. explore. experiment. don't try to master it all in one hour or one day.

we all have lots of time to do what we want to do at our own comfortable pace.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 AM

I have been out sick for a good month. I don't care much for the new format at all. I liked seeing the pics as you scroll down vs having to open each and every one individually to see the new items. I guess at 50 I like things the way they were.. the old if it ain't broke don't fix it. Can we view this in the old format by chance? I miss my old QB.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 AM

At first I didn't think that I was ever going to be comfortable using this new system but after 'muddling' through it each day and learning something new each day I know I'm going to enjoy this site again. There are a lot of generous 'savvy' members here who are willing to share their knowledge on how to 'navigate' your way around here and I would like to thank them for their hints etc. I am not computer literate but at 60 years of age I am willing and happy to learn.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

PatriceJ is right, there is something here for everyone. It does take some practice, and some reading of the wealth of information under QB Help Center.

One thing that I see not liked in this thread is the scrolling with the mouse. If you use Firefox as your browser, go to your browser's View menu and choose Zoom/Zoom text only. This fits the words to your screen. I don't think this is available in Internet Explorer. Firefox also blocks pop-up ads. Firefox is a free download from Mozilla. You might want to consider Firefox.

I was a die-hard read from Unread Topics gal. I was very unhappy to hear that it would no longer be available. I saw a post from one of our members and can’t recall who that was. Their tip was to scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on Archive in the Contact Us menu bar. Then choose the Forum/Section that you want to read from. As you read the posts in that Section, your computer changes the color of it. Then you can move to the next Thread that has not yet changed color. This really satisfies my Unread Topics fix. And I can read with the same ease that I did in the old QB.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 AM

I miss some of the 'conveniences' too. I check the 'archive' at the bottom of the board page for recently added topics based on category. It seems to me that the "what's new" button brings up alllll the topics that have recently added posts to them...not just new topics....even after I've made comments. Archive doesn't do that...just by topic.

I also have my settings set as only showing the topics for the last 24 hours.

I hang around but it's just not the same...
Old 11-16-2011, 03:56 AM

I'm noticing that the there's no new postings, all the topics are the same. They used to be different every day. Other than that I'm trying to get used to the new format.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 AM

Just arrived home after 15 days vacation and was so excited to see what was new on the board! Good Grief! What in the heck happened? I can't even get into the older publications and sorry to say, do not like this new set up! It is not friendly to the eye, not easy to everything listed in one glance, and for this computer illiterate gal, very difficult.
Leslie
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 AM

Not fond of it. Especially the dates. Today? Yesterday?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 AM

I agree.Used to look forward going on now I think twice.Change is not good for not so computer savvy members...But I keep trying......