2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Well I think when it comes to special items, like R. T's hand-dyes and Saris and such they could be considered exempt. I needed thread yesterday, came out with thread, some snips (99c - total bargain) and two pieces from the remnant box - 1 x purple textured upholstery 1.5 metres and about 1.5 metres of super soft flannel. The upholstery fabric is just the perfect purple I need to make some "quilty" slipcovers for my retro SCargo mini-van - though I need some black and orange to go with it, the flannel will go on the "baby" shelf as I have an oversupply of patterned fabric. I resisted the half-price table and the heavily reduced FQs. Still feel a bit guilty though....so back on the moratorium wagon I go.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Well, went and touched many many extremely gorgeous fabrics today, but only purchased what was needed to finish up my round on this Round Robin. Almost had heart failure seeing that one of the fabrics I needed wasn't there, but found 2 fat quarters JIC.
Felt good to be able to purchase something and even better knowing that I was purchasing for a "need".
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the links, jetnica.

Getting close to a month and no purchases. Major snowstorm has kept me away from LQS
Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 AM

Well, I have read all of the posts here and think I'll join. What I want to accomplish is to have some control over my purchasing of fabric, books and patterns. I have a large stash of everything. One thing I did last year that helped me was to make something (runners,quilts, etc), from my stash before I bought anything. My reward was to allow me to purchase something that I would use immediately in my next project. It worked. I made 12 runners, 6 from new purchases and 6 from my stash. I made 4 quilts, 2 with new fabrics and 2 from my stash. I've made 6 quilt tops, 3 with new fabric and 3 from my stash. I also made some bags, 1 was a kit and 2 were from my stash. If I can at least continue to do this I am way ahead of where I have been. Anyway it's fun to read what you all are doing and how you are doing it.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 AM

Rhonda, you were really productive last year. Congrats on that! What's your plan for this year?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM

I am so in!!!! I did a round robin quilt based on cats and I have not been able to do my quilt top. I found some really freaky colorful cat fabric and want to incorporate it into this zany quilt top. So here I go! I might need some help swapping out for cat fabric.....LOL!!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Wow Rhonda, you were really productive last year. I always have the best intentions to be productive, but my problem is finding the time to just sit down and sew. Working FT and driving 2 hours a day cuts into my sewing time.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Love2read View Post
I found some really freaky colorful cat fabric and want to incorporate it into this zany quilt top. So here I go! I might need some help swapping out for cat fabric.....LOL!!
Are the freaky colorful cats called Zaney Cats. If so, the are so cute.

Technical help needed.....how do you get the quote box arouond a previous message?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM

Anoka: I used to work full time and all I ever did was collect fabric, my hats off to anyone who manages to actually get some quilting done. Now that I'm retired I can quilt when ever I feel like it, your time will come. Not sure what you mean by quotes but to me it looks like you managed to quote Love2.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM

I am not sure what the fabric is....I bought it in Lancaster PA and loved it - it has lots of bright colors and has cats fishing people, and a cat menu by the fish dock....I did a row by row quilt with cats and one of the blocks did not go with my theme, so I thought I would get misc fabric and create a funny zany colorful cat quilt