2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Irish: You deserve full credit for no purchases. Being in a wheelchair, I think the temptation to make an on line order would be very tempting. Hope you mend quickly! Bezzie: So sorry. The best to you and your family.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Condolences to you, bezzie, and to your family.

Online order? Have my oldest daughter who wants to clean out my sewing rooms get the mail? No, thank you. I really have plenty.

I feel that my foot is healing. The first Xrays are Thursday. I will be glad to get the staples out and a stronger cast on.

I haven't decided on a back for the curved quilt yet. I'd like to make a stained glass, but we'll see what the time constraints are. Plain is fine, but I don't have a large enough batik in a boy color.

I wish you all enough.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

Sorry for your loss and all the heartache that comes with it. Hope life settles down for you soon.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

I finished the top with the Andover Amelia fabric I bought (off the wagon) in Livermore a few months back. She is a behemoth - biggest one I ever tackled. It felt so good using ALL that fabric. Then I finished two bags - all from stash (except the bits and bobs I had to buy).
Attached Thumbnails img_0166.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 AM

I actually sold a bunch of fabric left from my online store that I closed and didn't even stop at the fabric stores!! No fabric for me for a full six months!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 AM

Queen: I salute you! Your women of great fortitude and amazing strength. Martina: Amazing how all those beautiful colors go together! I can definitely see why you fell of the wagon. Maybe we should discuss removing some demerits if you use the fabric within a year? What does everyone thing is it time to modify our "Rigid" rules?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Emma, I think that is a great idea. I have purchased fabric since I joined the moratorium, but use most of it right away. I do still have a hugh stash which am trying to use when I can. I just am not strong when I see all the new, beautiful fabric at the LQS. Also like to support them so they are there when I need them!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 AM

Emma, I think it would be great to amend the rules, but only because I've broken them so many times!! Using what's purchased soon after the purchase is good...and how can a body stay out of quilt shops on vacation, especially when one of them (I know, I know..only one, and I went in about 4 shops) was in the top 10 two years ago? Oh, I sure do just need to use or purge my stash and stop whining.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 AM

Hi Paper Princess, Do you know how many have been keeping their commitment so far this year? I'm just curious....this is such a challenge (I didn't quite keep). Yet, the discipline is a worthwhile effort even with our slips!
I'm back to my resolve again. June was my 'vacation' : )
Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
Hi Paper Princess, Do you know how many have been keeping their commitment so far this year? I'm just curious....this is such a challenge (I didn't quite keep). Yet, the discipline is a worthwhile effort even with our slips!
I'm back to my resolve again. June was my 'vacation' : )
I've never counted, I don't want to be the moratorium police dept. I feel that you are successful if your purchases are below the level you were at when you started. I just love to read all the all the posts, both the 'no new fabric this month' and the 'a funny thing happened to me at the fabric shop/dept/site' versions!
A funny thing happened to me at JoAnn's yesterday. I was shopping with my god GD and the clerk told us about the student discount program. You have to be 14 or older an bring in a current student ID card. They will then issue you a discount card for 10% off your total purchase (some restrictions of course), but there are some days when the card will get you 20% off!