Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Working on quilting the tourquise and Orange quilt. The top is complete. This will be my next ufo for this month. Will post when done.

i'm enjoying looking at everyone's finished projects. All so pretty.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:50 PM

Better late than never, I have had my April finish done, well, since April. I finally got some photos taken. This is a 5 year old log cabin UFO with a scrappy block back.[ATTACH=CONFIG]519911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519912[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 11304195_10202942563163449_862458932_o.jpg   11286524_10202942561523408_681440303_o.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 06:09 PM

And here is my May finish - this is a 2 year old UFO. It is complete with lights. The binding was salvaged from a scrap bag that I received from someone (and it was already cut to binding and sewn together!), I am not sure I could have gone shopping and found a binding that was more perfect for this project![ATTACH=CONFIG]519914[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails christmas-tree.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 06:27 PM

Sherry, your quilt intrigues me. What size are your blocks? They look so small and exact. Don't tell me they are not exACT. Let let tell you the look exact! I have so much in my scrap box the I am always looking for ways to use it up. Not sure I have the patience for the log cabin blocks. But I have plenty of ideas from Quiltville.com to keep me supplied with ideas that I can use. Just would like to get a few more UFO's out of the way first.....and two family baby quilts... and my guild mystery quilt and a wedding quilt for dear friend and...and...and...
Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Sherry, your quilt intrigues me. What size are your blocks? They look so small and exact. Don't tell me they are not exACT. Let let tell you the look exact! I have so much in my scrap box the I am always looking for ways to use it up. Not sure I have the patience for the log cabin blocks. But I have plenty of ideas from Quiltville.com to keep me supplied with ideas that I can use. Just would like to get a few more UFO's out of the way first.....and two family baby quilts... and my guild mystery quilt and a wedding quilt for dear friend and...and...and...
Hi - Thanks for the positive comments! I am making a real effort to complete UFOs this year and so far that is going pretty well actually. I know what you mean about plenty of ideas and scraps - I have lots of my own and I love all things Quiltville. I have the books and have several started - Ocean Waves and Pineapple Crazy and Spiderweb and, and, and.... These log cabin blocks are 7 inches finished - it is made with 1.5 inch strips. I love making log cabin blocks, I've made several - no points to match or cut off. They are so versatile - there are many settings that can be used, and the size of the block can be made many different sizes. I have even made a king sized quilt as you go a few years ago, I believe those blocks were 13 inches.[ATTACH=CONFIG]519922[/ATTACH]

Dang it, now I want to make another one.....
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 AM

Sherry--those are some great finishes. I have a log cabin quilt on my list...even have the fabric, but trying to be good and finish some UFOs before starting it.

I did get the binding on a quilt over the weekend. Plus finished a quilt top and started quilting a different quilt that has been sandwiched for a while....at least I am making forward progress; only took me 5 months of the year! I hope the rest of the year is more productive.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:13 AM

Wow you all have been busy bees. I love the lloyd wright quilt it is special. I feel so slow while you all have been getting things done.

I've finished the practice binding coaster and hand quilted it so I can show my mentor my stitches and get advice. Then I took a machine quilting practice piece and bound that. It is large enough for a sewing machine mat and now all i have to do is finish the next practice piece and i'll have that for my craft room. Excited to find a use for these practice pieces. I am following some advice and fmq'ing 10 minutes each day to learn how to do it. Right now I'm taking aleve because my right arm is hurting from the practice. Who knew I was that weak.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Even more finishes...I keep wondering when I'm going to get something finished...Sandy's got a two for one quilt, happylabs has figured out how to make up her own instructions...then Sherry shares two finishes..is the red batik too big to hang on the front door at Christmas?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Even more finishes...I keep wondering when I'm going to get something finished...Sandy's got a two for one quilt, happylabs has figured out how to make up her own instructions...then Sherry shares two finishes..is the red batik too big to hang on the front door at Christmas?
Oksewglad - I am not working with dairy records or feeding hungry farmers, which I am sure you are doing these spring days! But I am trying to get a bunch of finishes or at least ready to be finished before it is too nice to be inside sewing and where I need to be out tending to the garden/yard etc. We will also be down in C-town this week painting Mom and Dad's garage if the weather holds later this week. We already postponed for today and tomorrow - oh my, the wind! Oh and yes, the tree fits perfectly on a door, it is festively hanging on a closet door right now!!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 AM

I have the green wreath done the same way. I'm hoping they have a class. I don't quite understand how the lights are inserted. Love your tree.